ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Funding and fees for the ICAEW Trailblazer Apprenticeships

The government has allocated each Trailblazer standard a funding band which represents the level of money available to employers to spend on their apprenticeship programme.

The funding cap for the Level 7 Trailblazer in Accountancy has been set at £21,000.

If you’re a levy-payer, you can now claim back a maximum of £21,000 per apprentice.

If you’re a non-levy payer, you have access to apprenticeship funding up to a maximum of £21,000 per apprentice. The government will pay 90% of the cost of the apprenticeship, so all you have to contribute is the remaining 10%. The Level 4 Trailblazer in Accountancy is included in funding band 9, with a maximum government contribution of £9,000. This means that, for levy-paying employers, this is the maximum amount of digital funds they can use towards an individual apprenticeship.

For employers who do not pay the levy, the government will pay 90% of the cost of the apprenticeship, with the employer contributing the remaining 10%. So the maximum amount the government will co-invest for the Level 4 is £8,100.

Fees covered by the funding 

Fees payable to ICAEW

ICAEW CFAB learning materials costs:

  • Please check with your tuition provider as some tuition providers will include the cost of the ICAEW CFAB learning materials within their tuition fees.
  • Cost for learning material per module: £30 (plus postage and packing)
  • Learning materials are available to order from our distributors, Gillards.

End-point assessment exam fees:

  • Portfolio and Reflective Statement: £300
  • Role simulation: £250

Please note that re-sits for any exams will not be covered by the funding.

Fees payable to your tuition provider

Tuition fees:

  • We work with high-quality tuition providers across the world to deliver tuition for our qualifications. 
  • Fees are set by the tuition provider and may vary depending on location, course structure and type. Some tuition providers will include the costs of the ICAEW CFAB learning materials within their tuition fees.

Fees not covered by the funding

ICAEW CFAB student registration fee

The employer is required to pay a registration fee to us which is £165 (+VAT where applicable). Please note that invoices are issued in December each year and the full amount is payable irrespective of when a student leaves your employment.

On-programme assessment exam fees

ICAEW CFAB consists of six modules. The cost for each exam is £70.

Credit for prior learning

Apprentices on the ICAEW Level 4 Accounting Technician Apprenticeship may be eligible for exemptions for up to five of the six modules. 

The costs for credit for prior learning are £70 per module.

ICAEW invoices will be sent to the qualified person responsible for training (QPRT) or authorised training principal unless we are notified otherwise. You can email studentsupport@icaew.com to nominate an alternative contact or call +44 (0)1908 248 250.