ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

ICAEW Level 7 Trailblazer in accountancy approved

Archived content

This page has been archived because it is no longer current information but is still relevant, or it is current but over 12 months old
  • Publish date: 02 November 2017
  • Archived on: 02 November 2018

Thursday 2 November 2017, From today, employers in England will be able to offer the Level 7 accountancy apprenticeship to both new and existing employees. The government has approved ICAEW’s assessment plan and funding band for the new apprenticeship standard, setting the cap at £21,000.

Mark Protherough, ICAEW Learning and Professional development Executive Director explains:

“ICAEW has worked with employers, tuition providers and professional bodies to design the Level 7 trailblazer apprenticeship. This apprenticeship will provide school leavers and graduates with another route into chartered accountancy, as well as professionals who are looking to progress. For students, completing the Level 7 will enable them to gain a wide set of skills for professional development and it is a stepping stone towards gaining the ACA qualification.”

Since the introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy in April 2017, employers have been recruiting Level 4 apprentices to bring bright new talent in to their business. Employers who have been waiting for the Level 7 Trailblazer can now progress their students onto Level 7 once they have completed the Level 4 Trailblazer. For employers who have already registered ACA or CFAB students, it is also possible to transfer them on to an apprenticeship agreement to benefit from the funding.

For Apprenticeship Levy-paying employers, the maximum amount of funds that can be used towards an individual apprenticeship is £21,000. Non-levy paying employers will also have access to the apprenticeship funding. The government will pay 90% of the cost of the apprenticeship, with employers contributing the remaining 10%. Therefore, the maximum amount the government will co-invest is £18,900.

Mark Protherough adds: “ICAEW’s Trailblazer Apprenticeships are an opportunity for people to combine competence in both knowledge and the skills and behaviours required to work in a firm or business. I am delighted that we can help apprentices progress further and gain a Level 7 qualification, as well ensuring they are equipped with the skills and experience the accounting profession needs both today and in the future.”

Media enquiries

Please direct all media inquiries related to this article to:

Kirsty Howe - Media Relations Executive
Tel: +44 (0)20 7920 3514
Email: kirsty.howe@icaew.com