Quarterly March 2020
Welcome to the first edition of Quarterly, the new magazine from ICAEW and part of our new approach to editorial content for members, also encompassing daily, weekly and monthly e-bulletins focused on the latest developments in accountancy.
In this launch issue we kick off with a special report on AI, exploring the opportunities and challenges that this technology presents for a profession already experiencing profound change. This edition also celebrates 100 years of women as chartered accountants with a feature looking at how far the profession has come, while exploring the work that remains to be done. We hope you enjoy the new magazine, let us know what you think by emailing email@example.com.
- The infographic: How R&D shapes up by UK region (not available online)
- Columnists: Michael Izza on plotting how jobs will evolve
- Columnists: Fiona Wilkinson on gender equality and women at work
- Columnists: Evita Nyandoro on why governance matters more than ever
- The debate: Short-termism in British business
- SWOT: What’s next for the automotive sector?
- Interview: Doug Field on his co-operative journey
- The connection: Digital Services Tax (not available online)
- The digest: Selected business media in review (not available online)
- In conversation: Tackling mental health issues at work
- The female century - It’s 100 years since the first woman joined ICAEW. We assess the female century.
- System error - We are almost totally dependent on the internet to do business. So what happens if it goes down?
- Small wonder - Microfinance initiatives are making a big difference in economies where access to financial services is limited
Special report: AI
The rise of artificial intelligence
Our special report looks at how AI is set to change the way we work and the way we think about work.
- What does AI have to do with finance?
- AI by numbers - The future in an infographic (not available online)
- Applied learning - Front-line tales of rolling out AI solutions
- Entrepreneur’s eye - The tech start-up CEO predicting structural change in accountancy
- Think again - The job is changing, and so is how we define skill
- Risk exchange - AI can liberate, but it also brings new threats
- Security services - How to mitigate risk
- My way: Running an AI rollout - How to Implement AI in your practice
- Regulatory: Cleaning up - Coping with the shifting shape of money laundering
- Profile: Hollywood and fine - Movie industry accountant Ged Nichols on his career highs
- Learning: Science faction - Why everyone wants a piece of the data analytics scene
- Rising stars: All in the retail - Three rising stars on what accountancy brings to the sector
- Career coach: When is the right time to move jobs?
- Mentoring: The power of two - How mentoring works in practice (not available online)
- In case you missed it: ICYMI - ICAEW news roundup (not available online)
- Technically speaking: IR35, leasing and trusts in the spotlight (not available online)
- Breaking the mould: Boardroom blitz - How Emily Smith made waves in a male world