What's the going rate for your role?
Members often contact the ICAEW Library team looking for salary benchmarking surveys, which are useful to compare their salary against the industry average or get an indication of how much they might get paid in a different sector or job role.
Here are some examples of how we can help you find specialist accountancy and finance salary information.
Did you know?
Our 2015 survey found the average annual basic salary for an ICAEW Chartered Accountant working in business is £90,200.
Chief Financial Officer (CFO) roles
A member got in touch because he had been invited to take up an interim CFO consultancy role and wanted to work out what his fee should be. After investigating online, we sent him links to these guides:
- The Hudson Accounting and Finance salary guide handily gives contract/temporary day rates for CFOs in various UK regions.
- The ICAEW and Stott & May salary survey 2015 gives average pay for CFO/Financial Directors (FDs), with a fun UK Average Salary Calculator that will tell you the average wage earned by accountants matching your profile and (somewhat depressingly) even compare it to Argentinian footballer Lionel Messi’s salary for you.
- The 2015 Financial Director survey lists pay for individual CFOs and FDs in the FTSE 250 – find out who are the top earners and who gets the biggest bonuses.
Another member was looking for salary surveys for small firms in practice, for salaries up to partner level. Surveys covering accountants in practice rather than business can be trickier to find.
Having scrutinized the surveys available, we directed the member to the following guides:
- Robert Half's 2016 Accountancy and Finance salary guide – the Public Practice section on page 12 lists salaries up to partner for SMEs.
- Reeds 2015 Accountancy Practice salary guide.
The Library has a regularly updated Salary surveys page, which provides links to these surveys and more, covering a wide range of industries and roles.
So next time you need to benchmark your salary or benefits, visit our page or get in touch!