The non-technical skills you need to get ahead
You need more than technical skills and knowledge to achieve business success, says Joanna Gaudoin.Typically, firms focus on their people’s technical skills and abilities – this is especially true in the accounting profession.
These technical skills are vital. However, there are other professional skills that are just as crucial. I’ve heard these skills called ‘soft’but I believe ‘people skills’ is more accurate. These are the skills that are essential for developing, maintaining, and benefiting from professional relationships with your colleagues,superiors, suppliers and clients.
When people neglect to develop and master these skills, there is a strong risk that individual careers stagnate and organisations don’t perform to their full potential.
This is an extract from the Business & Management Magazine, Issue 280, December 2019.
Find out more
Join the Business and Management Faculty
Why not consider joining the Business and Management Faculty and gain access to the full suite of resources? Benefits of faculty membership include:
- 10 printed magazines a year - fulfil your CPD requirements on topics chosen by members
- Free access to our webinar programme - watch live or on demand
- Special reports - topics such as Managing People and Innovation
- Networking events - your chance to interact with other like-minded business professionals
- Online specialist resources - support your CPD, progress your career and improve the performance of you and your team.
Plus, new for 2020
Our six online hubs - an invaluable resource focusing on these key areas:
- Strategy, risk and innovation
- Finance transformation
- Business performance management
- Financial management
- Economy and the business environment
- Leadership, personal development and HR
For more information and to join, visit icaew.com/joinbam