Applications for Professional and Advanced Level exams
All the information you need to apply for a Professional and Advanced Level exam.
The process is slightly different for Certificate Level exams, find out more about how to apply for Certificate Level exams.
Exam dates and deadlines
Visit our qualifications hub for the latest qualifications, exams and training updates and the provisions we have made in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
It is your responsibility to apply for your exams by the exam closing deadline. Ensure you have all the key exam dates and deadline you need during your ACA studies.
Please note that we do not accept late exam applications or changes to an exam application once the deadlines have passed. No allowance is made for any special circumstances or any error or omission.
You can also download the annual ACA planner. It’s designed to help you get organised at any time of the year. Use the planner to help keep your ACA training on track – add your study days, revision timetable, exams, six-monthly reviews and reminders on when you need to update your online training file.
Exam entry fees
Apply for exams
Apply for and book any Professional and Advanced Level exam using our online booking system.
Our exam booking system, is a live system, which means that when you book your exam, it is booked and confirmed immediately. The booking system will ask you to enter your preferred location to sit your exam and the closest centres with availability will appear. Exam centres are available on a first come, first served basis so be sure to book your exam early. If an exam centre doesn't appear, it means that this centre is fully booked. And remember to book your exam by the exam session closing date, we do not accept any late applications or changes once the deadlines have passed.
For guidance on how to use our booking system, view the how to book an exam online guide.
If you are unable to access the online booking system, call +44 (0)1908 248 250, email or send us a question using the live help box displayed on this page.
For Certificate Level exams, many tuition providers are also ICAEW-approved test centres. Download the full list of tuition providers which are approved test centres. If you are studying independently, or if your tuition provider is not an approved test centre, you can book your assessment at a Pearson Vue test centre.
Exam centres for the Professional and Advanced Level exams are available worldwide. Exam centre details will appear when you apply for and book your exam using our online booking process. Simply enter your preferred location and the five closest exam centres with availability will appear.
Once you have applied for and booked a Professional or Advanced Level exam, you will receive an application summary by email immediately after completing your application. This includes the timetable, venue, candidate number and instructions. You can also view this information on our website.
Cancelling or amending an exam application
On or after 1 April 2019:
- Before, and up to the exam session closing date for a Professional or Advanced Level exam session, you can withdraw online via the ‘Modify an existing application’ section. A refund will be issued to you within 15-20 working days (during peak times this may vary) of the exam session closing date.
- After the exam session closing date, you must submit your withdrawal request online using the ‘Withdrawal of exam(s) after the closing date’ option. A refund will only be considered if appropriate medical evidence is supplied.
- If you are unable to attend the exam on the day, a refund can only be considered if appropriate medical evidence has been obtained and signed within 48 hours of the exam date. This evidence then needs to be submitted to us using the portal within 14 calendar days of the exam date. If the medical evidence supplied at this time is dated prior to the exam session closing date, you will not be eligible for a refund.
- If a refund is confirmed, this will be returned to the original payment method 15-20 days following the exam session (during peak times this may vary). We do not issue credits toward future exam sessions.
Please note that if you withdraw from an exam (with or without refund), your application will not be transferred automatically to the next exam session and you must apply again as normal for any future sessions.
If you need to change the exam or centre you have chosen for a Professional or Advanced Level exam session, you can amend your application online up to the deadline. No amendments can be made after the exam entry deadline.
Make sure that you are aware of all exam key dates and deadlines, as listed above.
Access arrangements for exams
If you feel your exam performance may be hindered due to a health condition, disability, or specific learning difficulty (SpLD), we may be able to put access arrangements in place to support you during your exam(s). If you would like arrangements to be in place for a specific exam, your access arrangement application needs to be submitted by the following deadlines:
- Certificate Level exams – 21 days before the exam date. Please do not book your exam until your arrangements have been confirmed to you.
- Professional and Advanced Level exam – no later than the closing date of the respective exam session.
Before you submit your access arrangements application, please read the guidance for access arrangements.
Students must read and understand the special consideration guidance before they sit an exam. Special consideration applies to circumstances where you feel that your performance in an exam has been adversely affected by illness or other circumstances. You can apply to have these factors taken into consideration during the results determination process. Please refer to the guidance and supporting flow chart.
If you wish to apply for special consideration, you must complete the online special consideration application form with any supporting evidence within 10 days of the exam session.
Full details of all the available provisions can be found in the ACA assessment regulations.
Instructions to Candidates
It’s very important that you read the instructions to candidates carefully before the day of your exam, and you are familiar with the administration, processes and procedures of all our exams.
In addition to reading the Instructions to Candidates, all students taking a Professional Level or Advanced Level exam, please read the additional COVID-19 instructions for specific locations:
- Bahrain: Face masks are compulsory.
- Bermuda: Students temperature will be taken upon arrival. For any student showing symptoms and/or have temperatures more than 37.5 deg C, they will not be allowed into the exam centre premises. Face masks will be required when entering and moving around the venue, however they can remove it when at the computer.
- Bulgaria: All students will need to wear a face mask and sign a declaration before entering the venue to confirm that they don’t have flu-like symptoms and haven’t had contact with anyone with COVID-19.
- Cyprus (Limassol and Nicosia) - We have been advised that the venue in Limassol and Nicosia will require candidates to have a negative COVID test to enter the building. This must be done prior to exams dated within 7 days of the exam. If this is not done the venue could refuse access for your exams.
- Czech Republic: In line with the latest government restrictions, the British Council Czech Republic will be closed to the public until further notice.
- Gibraltar: please note that it is university policy, in line with Gibraltar law and Public Health guidance, that all university staff and students must sanitise hands on entering the classroom, maintain physical distance as far as possible in the classroom, and anywhere else on campus, and wear masks in the classroom. Hygienic wipes will be made available in all classrooms and staff and students are recommended to wipe any working surfaces (including keyboards) they will personally use. Used wipes must be disposed in the bins provided. All candidates will be required to bring and wear a mask to their examinations.
- India: Students are required to complete a declaration form.
- Malaysia: Students will be provided with a face mask, should they not have one on the exam day. Sanitiser and temperature checks will be done before allowing students to sit the exam.
- Malta: Students will have their temperature checked and will be asked to make a note of their contact details. Wearing a face mask during the exam is not compulsory.
- Singapore: Face masks are mandatory. Students will be required to scan a QR Code for contact tracing upon arrival at the venue. They will also be asked to have their temperatures taken. There will be social distancing measures within the venue, and students will be sat at least one seat apart in the rooms. Students who show symptoms and/or have temperatures more than 37.5 deg C will not be allowed into the exam centre premises.
- United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi) - We have been advised that the venue in Abu Dhabi (iSkills) will require candidates to have a negative COVID test to enter the building. This must be done prior to exams within 7 days of the exam. If this is not done the venue could refuse access for your exams.