- Admitted to ICAEW: 1989
- Joined Council: 2013
- Immediate Past-President 2023-2024
Julia qualified as an ICAEW Chartered Accountant in 1989 having first completed an honours degree in Accountancy and Finance at Brighton Polytechnic.
Soon after qualifying she moved into a training role, initially teaching students and later moving into CPD training and technical roles. She specialises in audit, financial reporting and anti-money laundering and has worked for diverse organisations including Wolters Kluwer, Wilmington plc, Chantrey Vellacott and Baker Tilly (now RSM). She is currently self-employed.
Julia became involved with Thames Valley Society of Chartered Accountants early in her career and served first as treasurer and then as the Society President in 2001-2002.
Later she became chair of the ICAEW Technical Advisory Committee and a member of both the Technical Strategy and Financial Reporting Faculty Boards. Julia has been a Council member since 2013 and an ICAEW Board member since 2017.
Julia is married with two grown-up children (one of whom is also now a Chartered Accountant). In her spare time she enjoys playing golf, baking and working on improving her Spanish.
I am a social media enthusiast, so you can follow my updates on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Declaration of Interests
Membership of, or interests in, formal bodies or groups, including other professional bodies
- Worshipful Company of Chartered Accountants
Membership of ICAEW Council, ICAEW Boards and other ICAEW Committees
- Remuneration Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Chair of Thames Valley Technical Advisory Committee
Partnerships, Directorships or beneficial interests in companies
- I am the sole director and owner of JS Penny Ltd, trading as JS Penny Consulting, through which I provide training and technical services to those within the accountancy or related professions.
- I have a non-controlling interest in Atticus Holdings Limited, a company in which my husband has the controlling interest. I also have an employment contract with the company as an advisor in respect to anti-money laundering procedures.
Professional or social relationships with individuals who have business relationships or who compete with ICAEW
- On occasion I provide training/consulting services to training providers/groups of members which may be regarded as competitors to ICAEW. Where the activities are significant the relationship is listed separately.
- On occasion I provide consultancy services to Inflo Group Limited with whom ICAEW has a business relationship.
- On occasion I provide training, writing or consultancy services to businesses which may be regarded as competitors to ICAEW, such as training companies. Where the work is/has been significant in nature it is separately listed.
- On occasion, I provide technical review/writing services to Bloomsbury, with whom the ICAEW contract in relation to the Bloomsbury online service.
- On occasion, I am commissioned to provide articles for the ICAEW Insights online publication. These commissions are on normal commercial terms. I also regularly provide free articles for ICAEW regional and national publications.
- I sometimes provide consultancy services for firms of Chartered Accountancy who may be ICAEW member firms.
Any other matters you feel should be identified