J S Penny BA BFP FCA
Julia qualified as an ICAEW Chartered Accountant in 1989 having first completed an honours degree in Accountancy and Finance at Brighton Polytechnic.
Soon after qualifying she moved into a training role, initially teaching students and later moving into CPD training and technical roles. She specialises in audit, financial reporting and anti-money laundering and has worked for diverse organisations including Wolters Kluwer, Wilmington plc, Chantrey Vellacott and Baker Tilly (now RSM). She is currently self-employed.
Julia became involved with Thames Valley Society of Chartered Accountants early in her career and served first as treasurer and then as the Society President in 2001-2.
Later she became chair of the ICAEW Technical Advisory Committee and a member of both the Technical Strategy and Financial Reporting Faculty Boards. Julia has been a Council member since 2013 and an ICAEW Board member since 2017.
Julia was Vice-President for the year June 2020 to June 2021. She is Deputy President from June 2021 to June 2022 and will then become ICAEW President from June 2022 to June 2023.
Julia is married with two grown-up children (one of whom is also now a Chartered Accountant). In her spare time she enjoys playing golf, baking and working on improving her Spanish.
Declaration of Interests
Membership of, or interests in, formal bodies or groups, including other professional bodies
- Worshipful Company of Chartered Accountants
Membership of ICAEW Council, ICAEW Boards and other ICAEW Committees
- Chair of Ethics Advisory Committee
- Chair of Thames Valley Technical Advisory Committee
Partnerships, Directorships or beneficial interests in companies
- I am the sole director and owner of JS Penny Ltd, trading as JS Penny Consulting, through which I provide training and technical services to those within the accountancy or related professions.
Professional or social relationships with individuals who have business relationships or who compete with ICAEW
- I maintain some friendships with staff of my former employer, Wilmington PLC. That company does business with ICAEW and in some areas competes with ICAEW. My freelance work means that I may provide services to businesses or organisations that compete or do business with ICAEW.
- I provide technical review/writing services to Bloomsbury, with whom the ICAEW contract in relation to the Bloomsbury online service.
- On occasions I am commissioned to provide articles for the ICAEW Insights online publication. These commissions are on normal commercial terms. I also regularly provide free articles for ICAEW regional and national publications.
- I provide consultancy services to Inflo Group Limited with whom ICAEW has a business relationship.
Any other matters you feel should be identified
- My son works for KPMG