Remote invigilation: Certificate Level and ICAEW CFAB exams
Certificate Level and ICAEW CFAB exams are temporarily available via OnVue remote invigilation which will enable students to take an exam at home while being continuously monitored by an offsite invigilator. To ensure that remote invigilation exams run successfully, students will need the equipment required to meet technical specifications.
Please note that we advise all students in a training agreement, to check with their employer before booking an exam, in case they have particular policies and approaches already in place, and to agree the timing of the exam.
To use this exam delivery method, there are five key requirements:
- A reliable computer or laptop with a webcam and microphone which meets the minimum technical requirements
- A quiet room with a closed door (no one else is permitted in the room while you are testing)
- A clear workspace
- A mobile phone to upload photos during the check in process
- A strong internet connection
If you decide to sit via this exam delivery method, please note the following:
- You will be unable to take a break during your exam
- You will only be permitted to use the on-screen calculator
- You will only be permitted to use the on-screen whiteboard
In order to fully prepare for your remote invigilation exam please follow the check list below:
1. Check that your system meets the minimum technical requirements
There are a number of system requirements that must be met to use this exam delivery service. A full breakdown can be found here.
Do not move to the next step and run a system test if your computer does not meet the technical specifications. The system test cannot check that your machine meets the minimum technical specifications, it only checks that your internet bandwidth is sufficient, you have a working webcam and your device has audio and volume control.
2. Run a system test
Before your exam day and once you have confirmed that your computer meets the minimum technical requirements, you must run a system test on the same network and computer you will use on the exam day. We recommend that you use a personal computer or laptop. If you only have an employer provided laptop, please check with them first to ensure that it meets the technical specification required.
The system test will check that your internet bandwidth is sufficient, you have a working webcam and your device has audio and volume control, it does not confirm that your computer meets the minimum technical requirements.
3. Schedule your exam
Log into your online training file to schedule an OnVUE exam. Once you are on the exam booking page please follow these instructions:
- Select the drop down arrow on ‘Do you have private access code?’
- A box will then appear, input the private access code ICAEW_OP, and select ‘Enter’.
- A list of exams available to you will then appear.
- Read and agree to the online exam policies by ticking all the relevant boxes and select ‘Next’.
- Click on the red ‘Schedule this exam’ button.
- Select a convenient time and date to sit your exam.
- Check the details are correct on the ‘My Order’ page.
- Read the ICAEW policies and click on the ‘Accept’ button.
- Make payment by using a credit or debit card, or enter a voucher code if supplied by your employer.
- Complete checkout and submit.
For guidance on booking a Certificate Level or ICAEW CFAB exam click here.
Extra time assess arrangement
Please see the following exam booking instructions based on difference circumstances. Note that this may be different for each exam module:
- If your extra time has been granted, it is your first exam attempt and you have not had any exam bookings for this module before which have been cancelled, you can book in the usual way via the web here.
- Before your extra time was granted if you attempted the exam module, or had an exam booking which was cancelled, click here for instructions on how to book.
- If you have an existing exam booking without extra time in place, you will need to contact Pearson VUE and ask them to cancel your existing booking and to make another exam booking which will pick up your extra time. If you have an OnVUE remote invigilated exam booking, please provide the PAC code ICAEW_OP to the customer service representative. Click here for contact details.
Please note: for security reasons, you are unable to move out of the webcam view during a remote invigilated exam. If you have been awarded extra time or stop the clock for a condition that requires you to move around, you will need to sit at an exam centre.
Students with any other access arrangement in place are not able to use remote invigilation.
4. Receive your booking confirmation
You will receive a booking confirmation email from Pearson VUE.
5. Read the FAQs and watch the video
Click here to view the FAQs from students on the remote invigilation exams.
6. Set up 30 minutes ahead of your exam and have your ID ready
On the day of your exam login 30 minutes prior to your exam time as you will need time to provide a photograph of yourself, your ID and the room you are sitting the exam in. Make sure your exam area is clear and you are ready for the security checks. This time will also be used to solve any issues that may arise. It’s important that you log in early so you do not miss your exam slot. If the remote invigilator needs to call you, they will use the mobile number you have provided to ICAEW, please ensure that this number is correct by logging into your online training file and updating your contact details.
When everything is in place, you will be connected to a live remote invigilator which may take up to 30 minutes, so please be patient. If you complete the above checks before your exam time starts, please note that you will be monitored in this time and will be unable to move away from the web cam view.
You will receive your results in the usual format. Results are available within 24 hours via your online training file.