Since May 2022, the format of claims for tax relief on employment expenses has been mandated. HMRC’s version of the P87 form must be used for claims made by post.
From 21 December 2022, claims made on P87 forms must include the following information:
- all the details in section 1, except for the title and contact phone number which are optional;
- employer PAYE reference number in section 2. This number can be obtained from personal tax accounts, the HMRC app, P45s or P60s; and
- type of industry in section 2 if the claim includes flat rate expenses.
Any forms that do not include the required information, received on or after 21 December 2022, will be rejected.
The Tax Faculty understands that HMRC is making the change to speed up processing. It means that HMRC staff will not have to find the employer PAYE reference or other information before processing the form.
- 14 Dec 2022 (12: 00 PM GMT)
- The P87 form also has been updated. In addition to including the mandatory information, P87 claims received by HMRC on or after 21 December 2022 must be on the latest version of the form.
The Tax Faculty
ICAEW's Tax Faculty is recognised internationally as a leading authority and source of expertise on taxation. The faculty is the voice of tax for ICAEW, responsible for all submissions to the tax authorities. Join the Faculty for expert guidance and support enabling you to provide the best advice on tax to your clients or business.
More from the Tax Faculty
Stay up to date with the latest developments in tax by signing up to the Tax Faculty's weekly e-newsletter
Comprehensive support for Tax practitioners each month from the Tax Faculty and expert contributors.
Expert advice from the Tax Faculty's technical managers on all the developments in tax policy and practice.