ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Apprenticeship funding and fees

In this section, you can find out everything you need to know about government funding for apprenticeships and grants for employers available for our finance and accountancy apprenticeship programmes. Whether you’re a levy or non-levy paying employer, we’ll go through the apprenticeship funding rules for employers and provide further information around apprenticeships funding.

Register your interest

Find out more about our apprenticeships or about setting up a programme.

Find out more

Apprenticeship grants for employers

The government provides apprenticeship levy funds for employers, incentivising them to train and develop new talent. In addition a £3,000 government incentive payment is available for new apprentices with:

  • an employment start date between 1 October 2021 – 31 January 2022 and,
  • an apprenticeship start date between 1 October 2021 – 31 March 2022.

Applications are now open to claim this incentive and employers have until 15 May 2022 to claim this £3,000 incentive directly from the ESFA through your apprenticeship service account.

There is no limit on the number of incentive payments that employers can claim and the payment can be spent on anything you wish. The payment will be sent in 2 equal instalments when each apprentice has completed 90 days of their apprenticeship and the second payment will be made after 365 days of the apprenticeship has been completed.

Watch the ESFA YouTube video here or view the step-by-step guidance.

These payments are in addition to other employer incentives for hiring apprentices, specifically:

  • the existing £1,000 incentive that employers already receive for taking on an apprentice who meets workplace requirements
  • National Insurance savings of 13.8% for apprentices aged 25 years old and under

Apprenticeship funding for employers taking on new apprentices can be spent on anything to support your organisation's costs. This can be anything from uniforms to your apprentice's travel or salary.

In order to be of value to both employers and apprentices, the government sets out apprenticeship rules for employers to adhere to:
  • Apprenticeships offered last for at least a year
  • Roles are genuine for the apprentice to work in for the length of their apprenticeship
  • An apprenticeship agreement is established and upheld with an apprentice for its full duration
  • A commitment statement is signed by the employer, apprentice and registered training provider
  • A written contract is obtained for services agreed on with the training provider

Contact your local Business Development Manager to find out more about apprenticeship funding for employers and the business benefits of our finance and accountancy apprenticeships.

How does the apprenticeship levy work?

The apprenticeship levy was introduced to give employers more control when providing training opportunities. The introduction of apprenticeship levy funding means there is more money available than ever before for apprenticeship training. It allows employers to choose which apprenticeships they offer. Find out more about apprenticeship costs as a levy-paying or non-levy paying employer below:

Funding an Apprenticeship for Levy paying employers

All UK employers with an annual pay bill of more than £3m are charged a levy of 0.5%. Employers can spend their funds on ICAEW finance and accounting apprenticeships, for existing and new staff providing they meet the criteria.

Back to top

Funding an Apprenticeship for Non levy paying employers

Employers who do not pay into the apprenticeship levy can access funding via a government-employer co-investment. Non-levy paying employers make a 5% contribution and the government will pay the remaining 95%.

Back to top