ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Professional indemnity insurance for volunteers

Professional indemnity insurance, with exclusive rates for volunteering activities, from Marsh Commercial.
Professional indemnity insurance
Marsh Commercial has negotiated a PI policy with enhanced benefits designed especially for charity volunteers. You can now get a quote under the ICAEW scheme. For expert advice call their team of dedicated ICAEW PI advisors on 0345 894 4684 or contact them by email Get in touch

Marsh Commercial is a long-standing Member Rewards Partner and has worked closely with the ICAEW for more than 14 years. As a leading professional risks insurance broker, Marsh Commercial has negotiated PI insurance benefits exclusive to those undertaking voluntary activities.

Voluntary activities*

The insurance covers the following voluntary (unpaid) activities performed with UK charities or not-for-profit organisations:

  • Bookkeeping work
  • Preparation of a charity’s management of financial accounts
  • Preparation of cash-flows and budgets
  • Business funding advice
  • Advice on accounting and financial reporting systems
  • Advice on accounting and internal control systems
  • Company secretarial services
  • Performing a charity’s independent examination.

The insurance is designed to help volunteers defend any claims arising out of a wrongful act solely in their personal capacity whilst acting for a UK charity or not-for-profit organisation and pay the costs of any valid claim (up to the limit of indemnity).

Other types of voluntary accountancy service may be covered, please contact Marsh Commercial on 0333 0604 776 to find out more. Marsh Commercial also offers trustee indemnity insurance, please contact Marsh Commercial to find out more.

For other types of volunteering, please contact Marsh Commercial who will help you to find a suitable insurance product to meet your needs.

*ICAEW members should also read the ICAEW statement on engaging in public practice  for information on whether a Practising Certificate is required for the voluntary activity performed.

Exclusive PI insurance benefits for volunteers

Marsh Commercial is ICAEW’s preferred insurance broker for PI, cyber and office insurance.

As well as meeting the minimum requirements set out by the ICAEW, the PI scheme also provides enhanced benefits designed specifically for members, including but not limited to:

  • A six year run-off period available in a block policy
  • Cost of court attendance compensation limit is increased
  • Cover for replacing, restoring or reconstituting physical documents
  • Circumstances known prior to the inception of the policy period that have not previously reported, are not automatically excluded


I am not an ICAEW member but I am a charity volunteer. Can I also purchase this insurance?

Yes, this insurance product is available to ICAEW members and non-members.

I’m a trustee of a charity. Will the professional indemnity insurance cover my activities as a charity trustee?

No, professional Indemnity will provide cover for your accountancy activities and the advice therefore given to the charity, in order to cover your activities as a trustee, the charity will need to purchase trustees indemnity cover.

I was a member of ICAEW’s Volunteering Community and received free insurance until 31 December 2022. Will I receive run-off cover if I purchase this policy?

In order to continue covering your past activities you will need to ensure your new insurance covers your previous activities within its retroactive date, please refer to Marsh Commercial when setting up your new insurance to make sure this is taken into account.

I claim expenses for my voluntary activities but do not charge a fee. Will I still be covered?

Yes, you will still be covered for your professional services as a volunteer, even when expenses are reimbursed.

I undertake a few unpaid Independent Examinations for charities. Will this be covered?

Yes, this will still be covered.

Please also refer to the ICAEW statement on engaging in public practice.

I give free advice to charities/ provide free accountancy services for charities. Will this be covered?

This will still be covered as long as the services have been declared and agreed as per the above voluntary activities section.

Please also refer to the ICAEW statement on engaging in public practice.

I don’t live in the UK, is this insurance product still suitable for me?

This insurance is only applicable to UK domiciled persons and organisations, including the Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

I undertake voluntary activities, but not for a charity. Will I still be covered?

As is often the case with insurers and insurance policies, the insurers would want to better understand the type of not-for-profit organisation involved and the work being undertaken, in this instance, please speak to Marsh Commercial to cover the specific details.

Marsh Commercial

Find out more


Call the team on 0345 8944684


Send your enquiry by email

marsh commercial pii for volunteers
Terms and Conditions

This is a marketing communication 

The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Marsh Ltd and Marsh Commercial is a trading name of Marsh Ltd. Marsh Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for General Insurance Distribution and Credit Broking (Firm Reference No. 307511). Copyright © 2022 Marsh Ltd. Registered in England and Wales Number: 1507274, Registered office: 1 Tower Place West, Tower Place, London EC3R 5BU. All rights reserved.


Affinity Partnerships

For more information about our Affinity Partnerships, visit our member rewards pages.

Find out more

Member Rewards Digital Guide

Explore the new Member Rewards guide to find out more about your rewards, especially negotiated for you.

Explore here