IFRIC 17 Distributions of Non-cash Assets to Owners
Published November 2008. Effective 1 July 2009 (1 November 2009 for EU preparers).
Free to view
Financial Reporting Faculty members only
The Interpretation refers to:
- Distributions of non-cash assets to owners of an entity in their capacity as owners
- Distributions where owners have a choice of receiving non-cash assets or a cash alternative.
It concludes that:
- A dividend should be recognised when it is appropriately authorised and is no longer at the discretion of the entity.
- The dividend should be measured at the fair value of the net assets to be distributed.
- Where a cash alternative is available, the entity should assess the probability of owners selecting either cash or the non-cash assets and measure the dividend accordingly based on fair values.
- An entity should recognise the difference between the dividend paid and the carrying amount of the assets distributed in profit or loss.
The International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) provides free access to the consolidated unaccompanied international accounting standards for the current year through its website. Free registration is required.
Which version of the interpretation?
'Which version of the interpretation?' is only available to members of the Financial Reporting Faculty. Please note that to access electronic versions of IFRS through the links in these standard trackers you need to have first logged into IFRS Standards Navigator.
IFRSs referred to by IFRIC 17
This page was last updated 22 January 2021.