Use our industry guide to find key background information, market research, import and export guidelines, statistics, legislation, trade bodies and trade publications.
The Business & Industry Guides series is produced by the Library & Information Service for ICAEW members and ACA students.
We can compile tailored key players reports, mailing lists, market reports, benchmarking reports and industry news. Our enquiry team can also research other industry-specific information, such as taxation, for you. Call us on +44 (0)20 7920 8620 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trends and forecasts
Market research reports focusing on this business sector are available from a number of market research specialists. In most cases these reports are available to fee-paying subscribers or on a pay-as-you-go basis.
Some free information is available from the following market research specialists, ranging from industry news to executive summaries of the reports.
A full listing of reference products and research reports for printing and publishing from Euromonitor, with a range of global, country and company level reports. Each report provides a contents listing and a useful executive summary reporting on the key trends in each country report.
Business and industry research specialists offering reports on a wide range of sectors. Topics include newspaper printing; printing; book retailers; and book, newspaper and magazine publishing. Report snapshots, table of contents and a sample report are available. The company also produces global industry research reports.
A full listing of reports covering the printing and publishing sector is available, with the option to view the executive summary and a table of contents for each report.
Statistics on the UK
Office for National Statistics
The Annual Business Survey (ABS) from the Office for National Statistics collects financial information covering UK production, construction, distribution and service industries. Statistics available include:
- number of enterprises;
- total turnover;
- approximate gross value added at basic prices;
- total purchases of goods, materials and services;
- total employment – average during the year;
- total employment costs;
- total net capital expenditure;
- total net capital expenditure – acquisitions;
- total net capital expenditure – disposals;
- total stocks and work in progress – value at end of year;
- total stocks and work in progress – value at beginning of year;
- total stocks and work in progress – increase during year.
The dataset Non-financial business economy, UK: Sections A to S includes statistics for:
- Printing and service activities related to printing (18.1)
See Section C: Manufacturing
- Manufacture of paints, varnishes, coatings, printing ink and mastics (20.3)
See Section C: Manufacturing
- Publishing of books, periodicals and other publishing activities (58.1)
See Section J: Information and communication
Publishers Association (PA)
The PA produces an annual Publishing Yearbook looking at sales and trend analysis, export sales by sector and region and the market size. The yearbook is available free to PA members.
Statistics on Europe
Eurostat, the EU statistics hub, collates detailed Structural Business Statistics giving the latest figures for industry, construction, trade and services by sector and country. The indicators available include:
- number of enterprises
- turnover or gross premiums written
- production value
- value added at factor cost
- gross operating surplus
- wages and salaries
- social security costs
- gross investment in tangible goods
- gross investment in land
- gross investment in existing buildings and structures
- gross investment in construction and alteration of buildings
- gross investment in machinery and equipment
- number of employees
- number of persons employed per enterprise.
Statistics within the database are available for:
- Printing and service activities related to printing (C181)
- Manufacture of paints, varnishes, coatings, printing ink and mastics (C203)
- Publishing of books, periodicals and other publishing activities (J581)
See database section ‘SBS – industry and construction’.
Federation of European Publishers
The Book Sector in Europe: Facts and Figures was published by the Federation of European Publishers in 2017. It provides a range of data and information about book publishing and the book sector in Europe.
The UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) collects and compiles industrial statistics known as INDSTAT, which give information on:
- number of employees
- number of establishments
- value added
- total wages and salaries.
Statistics by country are available for:
- Publishing of books and other publications (2211)
- Publishing of newspapers, journals, etc. (2212)
- Printing (2221)
- Service activities related to printing (2222)
- Paints, varnishes, printing ink and mastics (2422)
UN Commodity Trade Statistics Database (Comtrade)
The UN compiles and publishes international import and export statistics in the Commodity Trade Statistics Database (Comtrade), giving figures for goods traded by value, quantity and weight for each country.
Statistics are available for:
- Printed books, newspapers, pictures etc (49)
UN Industrial Commodity Statistics Database
The UN provides statistics on the quantity of goods produced by country in the Industrial Commodity Statistics Database.
Figures are available for:
- Newspapers, journals and periodicals, printed (32)
- Books, brochures and similar printed matter; children's books, in print (32)
- Calendars, advertising material and the like, transfers (decalcomanias), designs and photographs, printed (32)
Average employment costs within this sector are available from Table 14 of the Office for National Statistics publication Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE). Average employment costs are provided for full-time employees, part-time employees and all employees.
The data includes average employment costs for:
- property, housing and land managers
- estate agents, auctioneers.
Please see individual country profile pages for links to sources of national statistics.
Legislation and regulation
Gov.uk provides some guidance on the main legislation applicable to various sectors, including international trade regulations for paper and printing.
The British Printing Industries Federation (BPIF) provides legal support on human resources, health and safety, technical and business issues.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has a section on health and safety in printing, which includes latest regulations affecting this industry.
Import and export
The Trade Tariff is a useful Gov.uk database listing tax, duties and licenses for the import and export of goods between the UK and other countries. The database is searchable by product or commodity code and results can be filtered by date and country. Information also includes links to relevant conditions and regulations.
See import and export information for:
UK business guides
Atom Content Marketing guides
The Start Up Donut from Atom Content Marketing provides practical information on starting up and running a number of small business types. Guides cover a range of areas including market research, current trends, regulations, products and services, promotion and pricing. They include:
UK key players, ratios and trends
The websites of trade bodies in this sector are a useful source of industry overviews, contacts and statistics.
- British Printing Industries Federation (BPIF)
- Independent Print Industries Association (IPIA)
- Independent Publishers Guild (IPG)
- Institute of Paper, Print and Publishing (IP3)
- Professional Publishers Association (PPA)
- Publishers Association (PA)
- Federation of European Publishers (FEP)
- Intergraf: International Confederation for Printing and Allied Industries
- Association of American Publishers (AAP)
- CONLATINGRAF: Confederación Latinoamericana de la Industria Gráfica
- Grupo Iberoamericano de Editores
- National Association of Printing Ink Manufacturers (NAPIM) (US)
- NPES: The Association for Suppliers of Printing, Publishing and Converting Technologies (US)
- Printing Industries of America
The IPA provides a full list of members with links and contact details.
Trade journals and publications
Trade journals, B2B magazines and specialist consumer magazines are another useful source of news and statistics.
- Whitmar Publications (publisher of Print and Paper Monthly; Digital Printer; Flexotech)
- Print Business
- Print Week
- The Bookseller
Book, Magazine and Newspaper Industry: British Library
British Library industry guides provide listings of resources for industry-specific information, including print directories and materials held by the British Library. .
Contact the British Library Business and IP Centre for more information.
How magazines work
Information from Magforum.com on the history and structure of the UK magazine industry. Includes profiles of publishers and sources of further information on magazines in the UK.
Articles and books in the Library collection
- View a list of articles and books in our collection on the printing industry
- View a list of articles and books in our collection on the publishing industry
To find out how you can borrow books from the Library please see our guide to book loans.
You can obtain copies of articles or extracts of books and reports by post or email through our document supply service.
Can't find what you're looking for?
The ICAEW Library can give you the right information from trustworthy, professional sources that aren't freely available online. Contact us for expert help with your enquiries and research.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information given in this Business & Industry Guide is correct. However, the content of websites changes frequently and users should satisfy themselves that the information they contain is suitable for the purposes for which they wish to use it. We would be grateful to receive notification of any broken links at email@example.com.
ICAEW accepts no responsibility for the content on any site to which a hypertext link from this site exists. The links are provided ‘as is’ with no warranty, express or implied, for the information provided within them. Please see the full copyright and disclaimer notice.