P Varley MBA FCA
Philip Varley graduated as a Chemical Engineer from Imperial College London in 1979, where he now has the honour of serving on their Strategic Advisory Board. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1982, and after working for Arthur Andersen in London, moved to the United States and became a CPA in Colorado in 1986.
When he left public practice as an audit manager, he joined a US software company as their International Controller, bringing him back to Europe for half the year! He then spent four years as Division Finance Director for a Fortune 100 company, before joining the internet start-up world.
In 2001 he began focussing on turn-arounds for private equity groups and wrote about his insights in the book 'Failure Is Not An Option' published in 2012. Shortly thereafter he was appointed CFO of a NASDAQ technology company.
He has held visiting professorship roles at Colorado Universities, and has spoken on financial excellence at Financial Executive conferences.
He now serves on a number of Boards, and is a private pilot.
Declaration of Interests
Membership of, or interests in, formal bodies or groups, including other professional bodies
- Member, Financial Executive International
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, Chartered Accountants Worldwide (formally Association of Chartered Accountants in the US)
- Observer, Denver Chapter Head and US Board
Membership of ICAEW Council, ICAEW Board and other ICAEW Committees
Partnerships, Directorships or beneficial interests in companies
- Member, Strategic Advisory Board, Department of Chemical Engineering, Imperial College London
- Director, Ken-Caryl Ranch Water and Sanitation District (a Colorado Governmental entity)
- Director, Ken-Caryl Ranch Master Association
Professional or social relationships with individuals who have business relationships or who compete with ICAEW
- US CPA
Any other matters you feel should be identified