ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Apprenticeship levy - Everything you need to know

The government has allocated each apprenticeship standard a funding band which represents the level of money available to employers to spend on their apprenticeship programme. Knowing how much your apprenticeships cost and who pays apprentices training fees can be confusing. In this section, you can find out everything you need to know, as a levy and a non-levy paying employer, about the apprenticeship scheme funding available for each of our finance and accountancy apprenticeship programmes and what each covers. You will know the apprenticeship costs to employers and apprenticeship fees paid to employers.

Get more information on our dedicated apprenticeship levy page.

Register your interest

Find out more about our apprenticeships or about setting up a programme.

Find out more

Level 4 Accounting Technician Apprenticeship

The Level 4 apprenticeship is included in funding band 9, with a maximum government contribution of £8,000. This means that, for levy-paying employers, this is the maximum amount of digital funds they can use towards an individual apprenticeship.

For employers who do not pay the levy, the government will pay 95% of the cost of the apprenticeship, with the employer contributing the remaining 5%. So, the maximum amount the government will co-invest for Level 4 is £7,600.

You can find out more about funding an apprenticeship as a non-levy paying employer on the relevant page.

Fees covered by the funding 

Payable to ICAEW

ICAEW CFAB learning materials costs:

  • Please check with your tuition provider as some tuition providers will include the cost of the ICAEW CFAB learning materials within their tuition fees.
  • Cost for learning material per module: £35 (plus postage and packing)
  • Learning materials are available to order from our distributors, Gillards.

End-point assessment exam fees:

  • Portfolio and Reflective Statement: £300
  • Role simulation: £250

Please note that re-sits for any exams will not be covered by the funding.

Payable to your tuition provider

Tuition fees:

  • We work with high-quality tuition providers across the world to deliver tuition for our qualifications. 
  • Fees are set by the tuition provider and may vary depending on location, course structure and type. Some tuition providers will include the costs of the ICAEW CFAB learning materials within their tuition fees.

Back to top

Fees not covered by the funding

ICAEW CFAB student registration fee

The employer is required to pay a registration fee to ICAEW which is £165 (+VAT). Please note that invoices are issued then regularly throughout the year following the students registration. This is a one off payment for students studying level 4 CFAB.

On-programme assessment exam fees

ICAEW CFAB consists of six modules. The cost for each exam is £70. From 1 July 2020, each exam will cost £72 per attempt.

Credit for prior learning

Apprentices on the ICAEW Level 4 Accounting Technician Apprenticeship may be eligible for exemptions for up to five of the six modules. 

The costs for credit for prior learning are £70 per module. The cost to apply for credit for prior learning will be £72 from 1 July 2020. 

Back to top

Level 7 Accountancy Professional Apprenticeship

The Level 7 apprenticeship funding cap has been set at £21,000.

If you’re a levy-payer, you can now claim back a maximum of £21,000 per apprentice.

If you’re a non-levy payer, the government will pay 95% of the cost of the apprenticeship, so all you have to contribute is the remaining 5%. This means that the maximum amount available to you from the government is £19,950. 

You can find out more about funding an apprenticeship as a non-levy paying employer on the relevant page.

Fees covered by the funding 

Payable to ICAEW

ACA learning materials costs:

  • Please check with your tuition provider as some tuition providers will include the cost of the ACA learning materials within their tuition fees.
  • Cost for learning material per module: £35 for Certificate Level, £45 for Professional Level, £87.50 for Advanced Level. All costs exclude postage and packing.
  • Learning materials are available to order from our distributors, Gillards.

End-point assessment exam fees:

  • Project Report: £350
  • Case Study: the fees for the Case Study are in line with current ACA exam entry costs. For more information, please have a look at the relevant page.

Please note that re-sits for any exams will not be covered by the funding. Fees are inline with current ACA exam entry costs. 

Payable to your tuition provider

Tuition fees:

  • We work with high-quality tuition providers across the world to deliver tuition for our qualifications. 
  • Fees are set by the tuition provider and may vary depending on location, course structure and type. Some tuition providers will include the costs of the ACA learning materials within their tuition fees.

Back to top

Fees not covered by the funding

ACA annual student fee

The employer is required to pay an annual fee to us which is £165 (+VAT where applicable). Please note that invoices are issued in December each year and the full amount is payable irrespective of when a student leaves your employment.

On-programme assessment exam fees

This includes 14 ACA modules. The cost for each exam for Certificate Level modules is £70, for Professional Level modules £100 and for Advanced Level modules £170.

Credit for prior learning

Available on some ACA Certificate and Professional Level modules, the costs for credit for prior learning are £70 per Certificate Level module and £100 per Professional Level module. Credit is not available on Advanced Level modules. From 1 July 2020, the costs for applying for credit for prior learning will be £72 for each Certificate Level exam and £103 for each Professional Level exam.

Back to top

ICAEW invoices will be sent to the qualified person responsible for training (QPRT) or authorised training principal unless we are notified otherwise. You can email studentsupport@icaew.com to nominate an alternative contact or call +44 (0)1908 248 250.