M Caplan QC
Michael has recently retired as a solicitor, having been a senior partner at an internationally-known law firm for 30 years. He is one of the few solicitors to have been appointed Queen's Counsel. Michael also sits judicially as a Recorder in the Crown Court and is authorised to sit as a Deputy High Court Judge.
He is the first chair of the IRB and helped to set up the board and recruit its members. He brings his experience and regulatory knowledge to the IRB; he is never frightened to inquire and, if necessary, challenge, and will always discuss what is in the best interests of transparency and governance of ICAEW.
Michael is a member of the Regulatory Appointments Panel.
Declaration of Interests
Membership of, or interests in, formal bodies or groups, including other professional bodies
- I am a qualified solicitor, a member of the Law Society and I have a practising certificate.
Membership of ICAEW Council, ICAEW Boards and other ICAEW Committees
- I chair the ICAEW's independent regulatory board.
- I also chair the Professional Standards Appointments Committee
Partnerships, Directorships or beneficial interests in companies
- Member of Cobalt Data Centre 2 LLP
- Former Member of Green Power LP
Professional or social relationships with individuals who have business relationships or who compete with ICAEW
- Not that I am aware of
Any other matters you feel should be identified
- My son, Daniel Mark Caplan, is a qualified chartered accountant and a member of ICAEW
- I was a senior partner at Kingsley Napley LLP, Solicitors until I retired in April 2016. I remain a consultant
- I currently have the following judicial and quasi judicial appointments:
- A Recorder sitting in the Crown Court
- I am authorised to sit as a deputy Hight Court Judge
- I am authorised to sit as a judge of the First Tier Tribunal (Regulatory Chamber)
- A Chair of the Police Appeals Tribunal