Credit for prior work experience
Your students can gain recognition of work experience completed before they start of their training agreement with you.
Their previous work experience must have been gained within the 24 months before they register as an ACA student. If their training agreement is 36 months (or longer) a maximum of 12 months may be applied for, however, if their agreement is 24 months, they may apply for up to eight months. You will need to agree that your student can gain credit for prior work experience before they apply.
If you agree that your students can apply for credit for prior work experience, they must apply in writing when their training agreement is registered. Their application will usually be successful if they can demonstrate that the following criteria have been met:
- the experience must have been gained with an ICAEW authorised training employer or principal;
- the experience includes a minimum of 65 days of practical work experience;
- the experience was gained within the 24 months prior to registration;
- the experience must be relevant, of a technical nature, properly supervised and performed satisfactorily;
- the student must have satisfied the minimum academic requirements to enter a training agreement;
- all parties agree to the application; and
- the student was not employed on a casual basis.
Applications must be accompanied by a record of the work experience and confirmation from the qualified person responsible for training (QPRT) that they agree to the application.
Please note that counting prior work experience towards a training agreement will require an earlier payment of student registration fees.
Applying for credit for prior work experience
If one of your students wants to apply for credit for prior work experience, it should be done at the time of registering as an ACA student. They must download and complete the form below.
The application must include your students’ training records for the period applied for and confirmation from the QPRT (or equivalent) that they agree to the application.