Use our industry guide to find key background information, market research, import and export guidelines, statistics, legislation, trade bodies and trade publications.
The Business & Industry Guides series is produced by the Library & Information Service for ICAEW members and ACA students.
We can compile tailored key players reports, mailing lists, market reports, benchmarking reports and industry news. Our enquiry team can also research other industry-specific information, such as taxation, for you. Call us on +44 (0)20 7920 8620 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trends and forecasts
Annual publication from BP projecting long-term trends in energy production, trade and consumption around the world. The full report, individual region and country factsheets and Excel data tables are available to download.
World Nuclear Association
The World Nuclear Association (WNA) publishes detailed country profiles covering:
- key facts
- nuclear industry development
- statistics on production and export
- current status and capacity
- uranium resources and fuel cycle
- radioactive waste management
- regulation and safety
- research and development
The WNA also produces reports on economic aspects of the nuclear industry, including country-specific information on energy subsidies and external costs.
Other market research specialists
Some free information is available from the following market research specialists, ranging from industry news to executive summaries of the reports.
A full listing of reference products and research reports for the energy and utilities industries from Euromonitor, with a range of global, country and company level reports. Each report provides a contents listing and a useful executive summary reporting on the key trends in each country report.
Business and industry research specialists offering reports on a wide range of sectors, including electricity production. Report snapshots, table of contents and a sample report are available. The company also produces global industry research reports.
Report from Mintel covering the UK energy industry. The website includes a summary and the option to view a contents listing.
Need to find the latest news on this industry sector? We can carry out industry news searches using a range of trade titles and general business sources through our databases. To discuss your requirements, please contact the enquiry team on +44 (0)20 7920 8620 or at email@example.com.
Statistics on the UK
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
The Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy compiles annual, quarterly and monthly statistics on a wide range of topics within the electricity industry, including:
- supply and consumption;
- fuel use;
- plant capacity;
- plant loads, demand and efficiency;
- the number of power stations.
Office for National Statistics
The Annual Business Survey (ABS) from the Office for National Statistics collects financial information covering UK production, construction, distribution and service industries. Statistics available include:
- number of enterprises;
- total turnover;
- approximate gross value added at basic prices;
- total purchases of goods, materials and services;
- total employment – average during the year;
- total employment costs;
- total net capital expenditure;
- total net capital expenditure – acquisitions;
- total net capital expenditure – disposals;
- total stocks and work in progress – value at end of year;
- total stocks and work in progress – value at beginning of year;
- total stocks and work in progress – increase during year.
The dataset Non-financial business economy, UK: Sections A to S includes statistics for:
- Processing of nuclear fuel (24.46)
See Section C: Manufacturing
- Production of electricity (35.11)
See Section D: Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply
Statistics on Europe
Eurostat, the EU statistics hub, collates detailed Structural Business Statistics giving the latest figures for industry, construction, trade and services by sector and country. The indicators available include:
- number of enterprises
- turnover or gross premiums written
- production value
- value added at factor cost
- gross operating surplus
- wages and salaries
- social security costs
- gross investment in tangible goods
- gross investment in land
- gross investment in existing buildings and structures
- gross investment in construction and alteration of buildings
- gross investment in machinery and equipment
- number of employees
- number of persons employed per enterprise.
Statistics within the database are available for:
- Processing of nuclear fuel (C2446)
- Production of electricity (D3511)
See database section ‘SBS – industry and construction’.
Statistics on the Americas
Canadian Nuclear Association
The Canadian Nuclear Association produces a regularly updated factbook providing figures on nuclear power generation and nuclear power reactors in Canada and around the world.
Nuclear Energy Institute (US)
The US Nuclear Energy Institute compiles a range of nuclear statistics covering:
- US nuclear power plants
- costs relating to fuel, operation, waste disposal and life cycle
- on-site storage of nuclear waste.
US Energy Information Administration
The US Energy Information Administration collects and publishes data on nuclear and uranium. Data is available on:
- reserves and production of uranium and nuclear fuel
- operation of nuclear power plants
- radioactive waste.
World Association of Nuclear Operators
The World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) publishes annual performance indicators giving targets and benchmarks for the nuclear industry. More detailed reports are available to WANO members.
World Nuclear Association
The World Nuclear Association (WNA) provides facts and figures on:
- world nuclear power reactors and uranium requirements
- nuclear generation by country
- uranium production by country.
BP produces an annual Statistical Review of World Energy containing detailed data on reserves, prices, trade, production and consumption of different energy sources broken down by country, region and sector. Historical data is also available to download. The report covers oil, natural gas, coal, nuclear energy, hydroelectricity, renewable energy and primary energy.
UN Energy Statistics Database
The UN collects data on energy production, trade, conversion and final consumption in its Energy Statistics Database. Figures are available for:
- Nuclear electricity – production
The UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) collects and compiles industrial statistics known as INDSTAT, which give information on:
- number of employees
- number of establishments
- value added
- total wages and salaries.
Statistics by country are available for:
- Processing of nuclear fuel (2330)
UN Industrial Commodity Statistics Database
The UN provides statistics on the quantity of goods produced by country in the Industrial Commodity Statistics Database.
Figures are available for:
- Uranium ores and concentrates (13)
- Electrical energy (17)
Average employment costs within this sector are available from Table 14 of the Office for National Statistics publication Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE). Average employment costs are provided for full-time employees, part-time employees and all employees.
The data includes average employment costs for:
- managers in mining and energy;
- energy plant operatives.
Please see individual country profile pages for links to sources of national statistics.
Legislation and regulation
The Office for Nuclear Regulation, an agency of the Health and Safety Executive, provides information on:
- regulations and standards
- Safety Assessment Principles
- international nuclear regulators.
The EU provides useful summaries of legislation relating to nuclear energy with links to the full text of legal documents. These cover:
- nuclear research and development
- nuclear safety
- nuclear waste.
The Japanese Nuclear Regulations Authority lists regulatory requirements and related laws on the English version of its website.
The International Atomic Energy Agency develops safety standards which are adopted by member states of the IAEA.
Nuclear Cooperation Agreements: implementation guidelines for operators
Guidance published by GOV.UK for nuclear operators on reporting requirements related to Nuclear Cooperation Agreements.
Import and export
The Trade Tariff is a useful Gov.uk database listing tax, duties and licenses for the import and export of goods between the UK and other countries. The database is searchable by product or commodity code and results can be filtered by date and country. Information also includes links to relevant conditions and regulations.
See import and export information for:
- radioactive chemical elements and radioactive isotopes (including the fissile or fertile chemical elements and isotopes) and their compounds; mixtures and residues containing these products
- nuclear reactors; fuel elements (cartridges), non-irradiated, for nuclear reactors; machinery and apparatus for isotopic separation
UK key players, ratios and trends
The websites of trade bodies in this sector are a useful source of industry overviews, contacts and statistics.
- Energy Institute
- Energy UK
- Nuclear Industry Association (NIA)
- Nuclear Industry Council (NIC)
- Nuclear Institute (NI)
- Society for Radiological Protection (SRP)
- American Nuclear Society (ANS)
- Associação Brasileira para o Desenvolvimento de Atividades Nucleares (ABDAN) (Brazil)
- Canadian Nuclear Association (CNA)
- Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI) (US)
- Energy Industries Council (EIC)
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- International Energy Agency (IEA)
- International Nuclear Law Association
- International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA)
- Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA)
- Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG)
- Women in Nuclear Global (WiN Global)
- World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO)
- World Energy Council
- World Nuclear Association (WNA)
- World Nuclear Transport Institute (WNTI)
The NEA provides a list of links to relevant organisations, including government bodies, in its member countries.
Trade journals and publications
Trade journals, B2B magazines and specialist consumer magazines are another useful source of news and statistics.
Energy industry guide: British Library
British Library industry guides provide listings of resources for industry-specific information, including print directories and materials held by the British Library.
Contact the British Library Business and IP Centre for more information.
Articles and books in the Library collection
To find out how you can borrow books from the Library please see our guide to book loans.
You can obtain copies of articles or extracts of books and reports by post or email through our document supply service.
Can't find what you're looking for?
The ICAEW Library can give you the right information from trustworthy, professional sources that aren't freely available online. Contact us for expert help with your enquiries and research.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information given in this Business & Industry Guide is correct. However, the content of websites changes frequently and users should satisfy themselves that the information they contain is suitable for the purposes for which they wish to use it. We would be grateful to receive notification of any broken links at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICAEW accepts no responsibility for the content on any site to which a hypertext link from this site exists. The links are provided ‘as is’ with no warranty, express or implied, for the information provided within them. Please see the full copyright and disclaimer notice.