Use our industry guide to find key background information, market research, import and export guidelines, statistics, legislation, trade bodies and trade publications.
The Business & Industry Guides series is produced by the Library & Information Service for ICAEW members and ACA students.
We can compile tailored key players reports, mailing lists, market reports, benchmarking reports and industry news. Our enquiry team can also research other industry-specific information, such as taxation, for you. Call us on +44 (0)20 7920 8620 or email email@example.com.
Trends and forecasts
Briefing from Tolvik Consulting assessing the impact of COVID-19 during the second quarter of 2020 on the UK waste sector, with a particular focus on residual waste. Includes a series of projections for residual waste in England for the rest of 2020-21 and through to 2025. Published in November 2020.
Waste and resource management review 2018
Report by Grant Thornton on M&A activity in the UK waste sector. Provides analysis of the strategies that are driving activity, as well as broader political factors. Highlights future trends for the waste and resource management sector over the coming years and key opportunities for businesses. Published in May 2018.
What a waste 2.0: A global snapshot of solid waste management to 2050
Report from the World Bank Group providing solid waste data at a regional and national level with estimates for waste generation to 2030 and 2050. Also covers: waste management costs, revenues, and tariffs; special wastes; regulations; administrative and operational models; the informal sector. Published in September 2018.
Market research reports focusing on this business sector are available from a number of market research specialists. In most cases these reports are available to fee-paying subscribers or on a pay-as-you-go basis.
Some free information is available from the following market research specialists, ranging from industry news to executive summaries of the reports.
A full listing of reference products and research reports for the utilities and recycling sector, with a range of global, country and company level reports. Each report provides a contents listing and a useful executive summary reporting on the key trends in each country report.
A full listing of reports for the waste management sector, both for the UK and internationally. Report snapshots, table of contents and a sample report are available to view.
Details of Mintel's regular market report on the UK Waste Management and Recycling sector. The website includes a short summary and the option to view the report's contents listing.
Anaerobic digestion and composting industry market survey report 2020
Report from the Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP) providing information on the anaerobic digestion and composting industries in England including capacity and throughput.
Statistics on the UK
Office for National Statistics
The Annual Business Survey (ABS) from the Office for National Statistics collects financial information covering UK production, construction, distribution and service industries. Statistics available include:
- number of enterprises;
- total turnover;
- approximate gross value added at basic prices;
- total purchases of goods, materials and services;
- total employment – average during the year;
- total employment costs;
- total net capital expenditure;
- total net capital expenditure – acquisitions;
- total net capital expenditure – disposals;
- total stocks and work in progress – value at end of year;
- total stocks and work in progress – value at beginning of year;
- total stocks and work in progress – increase during year.
The dataset Non-financial business economy, UK: Sections A to S includes statistics for:
- Waste collection (38.1)
- Collection of non-hazardous waste (38.11)
- Collection of hazardous waste (38.12)
- Waste treatment and disposal (38.2)
- Treatment and disposal of non-hazardous waste (38.21)
- Treatment and disposal of hazardous waste (38.22)
- Materials recovery (38.3)
- Dismantling of wrecks (38.31)
- Recovery of sorted materials (38.32)
- Remediation activities and other waste management services (39)
See Section E - Water supply, sewerage, waste management and remediation activities.
- Wholesale of waste and scrap (46.77)
See Division 46 - Wholesale trade.
Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
The report UK energy from waste statistics 2020 was published in May 2021 by Tolvik Consulting and provides a comprehensive overview of data on the UK Energy from Waste (EfW) sector. Includes a market overview and sections on waste inputs, energy, operations, compliance and capacity development.
Statistics on Europe
Eurostat, the EU statistics hub, collates detailed Structural Business Statistics giving the latest figures for industry, construction, trade and services by sector and country. The indicators available include:
- number of enterprises
- turnover or gross premiums written
- production value
- value added at factor cost
- gross operating surplus
- wages and salaries
- social security costs
- gross investment in tangible goods
- gross investment in land
- gross investment in existing buildings and structures
- gross investment in construction and alteration of buildings
- gross investment in machinery and equipment
- number of employees
- number of persons employed per enterprise.
Statistics within the database are available for:
- Waste collection (E381)
- Collection of non-hazardous waste (E3811)
- Collection of hazardous waste (E3812)
- Waste treatment and disposal (E382)
- Treatment and disposal of non-hazardous waste (E3821)
- Treatment and disposal of hazardous waste (E3822)
- Materials recovery (E383)
- Dismantling of wrecks (E3831)
- Recovery of sorted materials (E3832)
- Remediation activities and other waste management services (E39)
See database section ‘SBS – industry and construction’.
- Wholesale of waste and scrap (G4677)
See database section ‘SBS – trade’
Eurostat also produces regular statistics on waste covering generation and treatment, shipment of waste between countries and key waste streams.
- number of employees
- number of establishments
- value added
- total wages and salaries.
Statistics by country are available for:
- Recycling of metal waste and scrap (3710)
- Recycling of non-metal waste and scrap (3720)
Bureau of International Recycling
Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings
Average employment costs within this sector are available from Table 14 of the Office for National Statistics publication Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings(ASHE). Average employment costs are provided for full-time employees, part-time employees and all employees.
The data includes average employment costs for:
- Refuse and salvage occupations
- Waste disposal and environmental services managers
Please see individual country profile pages for links to sources of national statistics.
Legislation and regulation
UK business guides
Atom Content Marketing guides
The Sectors Donut from Atom Content Marketing provides practical information on starting up and running a number of small business types. Guides cover a range of areas including market research, regulations, pricing, revenue streams, costs and staffing. They include:
UK key players, ratios and trends
Trade journals and publications
Trade journals, B2B magazines and specialist consumer magazines are another useful source of news and statistics.
The websites of trade bodies and other organisations in this sector are a useful source of industry overviews, contacts and statistics.
The European Waste Management Association provides a list of member associations across Europe.
Can't find what you're looking for?
The ICAEW Library can give you the right information from trustworthy, professional sources that aren't freely available online. Contact us for expert help with your enquiries and research.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information given in this Business & Industry Guide is correct. However, the content of websites changes frequently and users should satisfy themselves that the information they contain is suitable for the purposes for which they wish to use it. We would be grateful to receive notification of any broken links at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICAEW accepts no responsibility for the content on any site to which a hypertext link from this site exists. The links are provided ‘as is’ with no warranty, express or implied, for the information provided within them. Please see the full copyright and disclaimer notice.