ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Membership under the Recognition of Professional Qualification (RPQ) Directive

ICAEW has arrangements with the CAFR, CNCC, CNDCEC, CSOEC, IBR-IRE, IDW, NBA and WPK as the content and level of their qualifications have been assessed as similar to the ICAEW ACA. Members of these professional bodies are eligible to become a member of ICAEW under the Recognition of Professional Qualification (RPQ) Directive without the need to sit additional examinations.

If you obtained membership of your parent body by complying with its training and examination requirements, you are invited to apply to become an ICAEW member. Please note: This arrangement only covers basic membership, further conditions apply should a practising certificate be required. If you would like to gain audit rights, then you should make an application under the Statutory Audit Directive.

You do not have to be a resident in the UK to take up this offer of ICAEW membership, and you will not be required to sit the ICAEW aptitude test.

Am I eligible?

If you answer yes to all of the questions below, then you are eligible to apply:

  • I am a member of either the CAFR, CNCC, CNDCEC, CSOEC, IBR-IRE, IDW, NBA or WPK
  • I have qualified with this body via the normal training and education route
  • I am in good standing with my home body 
  • I am an EU national

If you responded ‘no’ to any of the above questions then unfortunately you are not eligible for membership under the RPQ Directive.

How do I apply?

You will need to submit the following supporting documentation to ICAEW, The Applications Team, Metropolitan House, 321 Avebury Boulevard, Milton Keynes, MK9 2FZ:

  • Completed EU RPQ - Common content application form
  • Confirmation of home body membership
  • A letter of good standing from your home body, confirming:
    • you have no disciplinary record with your home body;
    • no outstanding complaints with your home body; and
    • that your home body are aware of no ethical or other reason why you could not be admitted to ICAEW.
  • Confirmation from your home body that you qualified with them via their normal training and education route, and not via a reciprocal or advanced credit route
  • Evidence of your nationality, such as a copy of your passport

All documents produced by your home body must be certified in English in order for your application to be processed. Failure to provide all of the information with your application may result in a significant delay in your application being assessed.

Practising certificate

If you intend to practise in the UK or EC you must apply for a practising certificate. You may only practice as an ICAEW member if you have been a member with your home body for at least two years.