ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Membership under Professional Accountancy Education Europe

Author: ICAEW

Published: 11 Mar 2021

ICAEW is a founding member of the Professional Education Europe, a collaboration between premier accountancy bodies in Europe with an aim to further develop, maintain and unify high quality professional accountancy education benchmarks.

If you are a member of one of the following Professional Accountancy Education Europe bodies then you can apply for ICAEW membership without meeting any further examination or experience requirements as ICAEW has assessed these qualifications as similar to ICAEW’s membership qualification, the ACA.

  • Instituut van de Bedrijfsrevisoren – Institut des Reviseurs d’Enterprises (IBR-IRE)
  • Compagnie Nationale des Commissaires aux Comptes (CNCC)
  • Ordre des Experts-Comptables (OEC)
  • Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer (IDW)
  • Wirtschaftsprüferkammer (WPK)
  • Consiglio Nazionale dei Dottori Commercialisti ed Esperti Contabili (CNDCEC)
  • Koninklijke Nederlandse Beroepsorganisatie van Accountants (NBA)
  • Camera Auditorilor Financiari din Romania (CAFR)

Application Process

If you wish to apply for ICAEW membership as a member of one of these bodies, please submit a completed application form with a supporting letter/document from your home body confirming that:

  • you are a full and current member;
  • you qualified via the normal education and training route, and not via a reciprocal or advanced credit route;
  • you have no disciplinary record with your home body, no outstanding complaints with your home body, and that your home body are aware of no ethical or other reason why you could not be admitted to ICAEW.

Please ensure that all documents produced by your home body are in English and dated within the last three months. If your home body cannot provide these in English then please provide certified copies in English from an official translator, such as a member of the Institute of Translators & Interpreters, who asserts their qualifications and proficiency in the relevant languages when commenting on the documents.

Practising certificate

If you intend to practise in the UK or EEA you must apply for an ICAEW practising certificate. You may only practise as an ICAEW member if you have been a member with your home body for at least two years.

Audit Rights

Professional Accountancy Education Europe does not provide a route towards UK audit rights, however, ICAEW is in dialogue with the UK government in an attempt to development audit recognition agreements with international bodies and regulators and we will update this page should any relevant agreements be reached.