There are fees associated with training to become an ICAEW Chartered Accountant. These include tuition fees, exam entry and learning materials. Students who have secured an ACA training agreement are generally supported with some or all of these costs by their employer, so this information is also useful for employers. Independent students are responsible for paying the fees associated with their studies.
The standard annual student fee is £165 + VAT (if applicable). This fee is paid on registration and then on 1 January each year.
Students please note that the date of registration may change the fee paid for that year:
- When registering between 1 January and 30 June the annual fee of £165 + VAT will apply.
Independent students only please note:
- When registering between 1 July and 31 October, there will be a half-year fee of £82.50 + VAT.
- When registering between 1 November and 31 December the full annual fee will apply, but in this instance, the first annual bill will be issued after 13/14 months.
Tuition costs vary depending on the provider used and the location. Also, costs for classroom tuition may differ from those where tuition is provided online or on a one-to-one basis.
These vary depending on which exam is taken and are payable upon registering for an exam.
ACA exam fees
- Certificate Level exam fee: £70
- Professional Level exam fee: £100
- Advanced Level exam fee: £170
- Case Study exam fee: £260
Please note that the exam fees will increase in 2020.
From 29 June 2020:
- Professional Level exam fee for the September and December session will be £103
From 1 July 2020:
- Certificate Level exam fee will be £72
- Advanced Level (November) fee will be £175 and the Case Study exam fee will be £267
Credit for prior learning
The costs for applying for credit for prior learning are £70 for each Certificate Level exam and £100 for each Professional Level exam.
From 29 June 2020, the cost for applying for credit for prior learning will be £103 for each Professional Level exam. From 1 July 2020, the cost for applying for credit for prior learning will be £72 for each Certificate Level exam.
Credit is not available for Advanced Level exams.
Students in some countries may be eligible to receive credit at a reduced cost or free. For more information on this please contact our student support team on +44 (0)1908 248 250 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will need to purchase the most up-to-date learning materials for each of the exams studied.
It’s a good idea to check with the tuition provider before purchasing any learning materials, as these may be included in their tuition costs.
Learning material costs for exams in 2020
- Certificate Level: £35.00 per exam (plus postage and packing).
- Professional Level: £50.00 per exam (plus postage and packing).
- Advanced Level: £90.00 per exam (plus postage and packing).
Where costs are being covered by an employer, our invoices will be sent to the qualified person responsible for training (QPRT) or authorised training principal unless we are notified otherwise. Employers can email email@example.com to nominate an alternative contact or call +44 (0)1908 248 250.