Learning materials for the ACA syllabus
We take pride in the fact that we publish our own learning materials, which are highly recommended by universities and tuition providers, who use them to deliver academic and professional education programmes.
Each year the learning materials are reviewed and approved by our examiners, and provide clear guidance on the way in which the syllabus learning outcomes are tested in the exams. We therefore recommend that you use the up to date editions to study for the respective exams (e.g. use the 2022 edition to study for exams in 2022), as these will reflect any changes made within the syllabus, learning outcomes and the way in which you are assessed.
Where relevant, the learning materials for the ACA exams comprise a study pack for each module which contains the following:
- a study manual providing comprehensive coverage of all examinable topics;
- an online study guide which gives guidance on how to approach the subject and detail of the learning outcomes and skills tested for each module;
- interactive and self-test questions throughout the study manual for revision of the topics in each chapter; and
- a question bank containing exam standard questions for revision practice.
We update the learning materials annually to reflect changes to the syllabus, current legislation and technical standards. Occasionally, errors may appear in the material. We publish details of any errata on the relevant exam resources page for each module.
Ordering your learning materials
Our learning materials are available digitally.
Please check with your employer or tuition provider if you are expected to order your learning materials, or whether they will be ordered for you.
See below for when the materials and resources will be available.
How much will the study materials cost?
Costs for the learning materials will look a bit different from previous years. As part of the move to digital learning materials, we are able to offer our materials in bundles which include the relevant permitted texts.
Learning materials for re-sitting exams
If you are resitting a Professional or Advanced Level exam, you will receive a free copy of the 2023 edition of the digital learning materials. To receive these, you must:
- Have redeemed any 2022 editions and have them showing on your ICAEW Bookshelf
- Have sat the exam in 2022, but not have passed it by the end of the year