Consolidate your insolvency licensing with ICAEW
You don’t have to be an ICAEW Chartered Accountant to qualify and be licensed as an insolvency practitioner (IP) with ICAEW. By choosing ICAEW as your single regulator, we can reduce the administrative burden and provide your current and future IPs with a wealth of benefits and support.
Find out more below or download our brochure.
Whether you are applying for an IP licence with us for the first time, or you would like to transfer all your firm’s IP licences to us, our streamlined application process is efficient and straightforward.
If your firm has more than five IPs, you can appoint a central point of contact who we can liaise with for all your firm’s licenses and membership fees.
We offer two types of insolvency licence – an appointment-taking licence (for formal insolvency appointments) and a non-appointment taking licence. The latter provides a cost-effective way of protecting your investment in qualifying as an IP. It’s also straightforward to upgrade to an appointment-taking licence at a later date.
We also collect the Insolvency Service and the Department for the Economy (formerly DETINI) levies from our IPs.
Benefits of consolidating your insolvency licensing with ICAEW
- We work hard to understand our IP firms, which enables us to help and support you and your teams.
- More than five IPs? You can appoint a central point of contact who we can liaise with for all your firm’s licences and membership fees.
- Your staff can register for their JIEB exams and then register for their insolvency licence with ICAEW. You don’t have to be an ICAEW Chartered Accountant to qualify and be licensed as an IP with ICAEW.
- We also offer the ICAEW Certificate in Insolvency – the most flexible insolvency qualification available.
- All ICAEW IPs, Certificate in Insolvency and JIEB students* benefit from the services and guidance available from ICAEW, the largest insolvency regulator in the UK.
- Free membership of our Restructuring & Insolvency Community and access to free webinars, technical regional events and newsletters
- Free helpsheets and checklists providing practical advice on a variety of topics including file reviews, internal controls and systems.
- Access to blogs on topical issues from our monitoring team, specialist compliance providers and lawyers on icaew.com/talkinsolvency. You can also put questions to other users in the forum.
- Free CPD aide-memoire which outlines the key technical changes in the last 12 months.
- Free technical helpline.
- Use of ICAEW specialist e-library resources, from articles and journals to industry guides.
- Invitations to attend a new IPs event held at Chartered Accountants’ Hall, London.
- Discounted rates for our prestigious annual conference at Chartered Accountants’ Hall.
- Use of our distinctive ICAEW IP logo on promotional materials.
- Broaden the knowledge of your teams with the ICAEW Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (ICAEW CFAB).
- We offer access to a number of communities which complement the work of IPs.
- Meeting rooms are available at Chartered Accountants’ Hall in the heart of the City of London.
Visits to your firm
We visit all our appointment-taking IPs as part of our monitoring process. For our larger firms that have consolidated their licensing with ICAEW or where we license several IPs in a firm, we will discuss the most efficient way to structure our visit. All our reviewers were previously appointment-taking IPs with casework experience so are able to provide support and share experiences and best practice.
To find out more, please contact Allison Broad by email email@example.com.
About six years ago we consolidated our various licences with ICAEW, as we felt it best-represented our interests at the regulatory level. ICAEW upholds the highest of standards in our industry, and it offers a level of support that we felt was not available elsewhere. Its reviewers are technically proficient, user friendly, commercial, and robust where required. In addition to this, their educational support is unsurpassed. We have also found the decision to consolidate to be very cost and time-effective, as we only have one quality and practice audit to undertake every three years, rather than several. We are most satisfied with our ICAEW licences and recommend similar ‘hybrid’ firms consolidate accordingly.
Cameron Gunn, Senior Partner, ReSolve Partners LLP
We chose ICAEW because we like their professional approach to regulation. The monitoring cycle is structured around the demands of our business and reviews are robust but fair, with potential issues signposted early in the process and no nasty surprises at the end. Most importantly, we feel we have a shared objective of improving quality, and are able to work collaboratively with ICAEW to meet that objective.
Jeremy Willmont, Partner and Head of Restructuring & Insolvency, Moore Stephens LLP
All our insolvency practitioners are licensed by ICAEW. We value the technical support ICAEW gives at roadshows, conferences and in webinars. When we want to discuss ethical issues the ICAEW helpline can be an invaluable sounding board ahead of a difficult decision about taking an case appointment or not. All being licensed by ICAEW minimises the disruption to a busy practice and means an efficient, fair and consistent approach to regulation.
Peter Whalley, Partner, James Cowper Kreston