We are delighted to offer you two charity-specific half-day events this autumn. This includes a technical update and an event specifically designed for trustees and advisors of smaller charities, bringing the topics that you have most requested to your virtual doorstep.
Charity Accounting, Tax and Governance Update 2022 – 13 October 2022
This half-day virtual event focuses on recent developments and the most relevant topics for finance professionals working in or with charities in the current climate.
Expert speakers will present sessions on:
- Legal updates: hear from Thea Longley, Partner at Bates Wells, about key developments in charity law, including the ongoing implementation of the Charities Act, news and updates from the Charity Commission and emerging hot topics, from EDI to crypto donations to reputational pressures
- Charities turnaround: Adam Stephens draws on his 20 years of restructuring and insolvency experience to show you how to spot the warning signs early and take action before it is too late
- Merger case study: Ben Clarkson, Chief Operating Officer at Asthma + Lung UK, will share his experience of the process and benefits of merging two large charities, and highlight accounting, governance and cultural aspect
- Auditing standards and impact on charities: experts from Saffery Champness will cover revisions to key auditing standards and what to expect from your audit in the upcoming reporting period
- Updated Business Tests for VAT: with HMRC having recently published Revenue and Customs Brief 10 on the subject of business and non-business activities, this session from Sayer Vincent will cover the background to the Brief, what has changed and why it matters to charities
This event will be chaired by Naziar Hashemi, Partner & National Head of Social Purpose & Non Profit Organisations at Crowe and Vice Chair of the ICAEW Charity Committee.
Book your ticket at:
Small charities: topical issues 2022 – 18 October 2022
We are delighted to host an event addressing the most relevant accounting, tax and governance issues of the trustees, finance leaders and advisers of smaller* charities. This half-day virtual event will provide practical tips and guidance on:
- Independent Examination: learn how to get it right as an independent examiner and how to pick an independent examiner for your charity from our experienced panel
- Excel skills for inflation planning: learn how to use Excel for scenario planning to account for uncertainty in your charity’s financial plans during a period of rising inflation
- Reserves policies: learn how to involve non-financial trustees in conversations about reserves and develop a reserves policy as a board
- Risk management: find the ‘sweet spot’ between risk mitigation and resource constraints by managing strategic and operational risks in a highly practical way
- Fully funded project budgets: tips to prepare full-cost-recovery project budgets for funding bids and how to get buy-in from funders
- VAT risks and opportunities: find out why small charities are vulnerable to substantial VAT errors and how to avoid missing out on valuable VAT reliefs
*for this event, we defined “smaller” as: below the audit threshold (£1m gross income).
This event will be chaired by Jayne Rowe, Partner at PEM, and member of the ICAEW Charity Committee.
Book your ticket at:
We're offering a discount of 10% off when you book both Small charities: topical issues 2022 and Charity Accounting, Tax & Governance Update.
Please contact Aimee.Orr@icaew.com if you wish to obtain the multi-buy discount.
I look forward to seeing you at our events!