IAS 29 Financial Reporting in Hyperinflationary Economies
IAS 29 Financial Reporting in Hyperinflationary Economies sets out the requirements for financial statements, including the consolidated financial statements, of any entity whose functional currency is the currency of a hyperinflationary economy.
Published July 1989. Effective 1 January 1990.
Free to view
- Synopsis (including link to unaccompanied version of IAS 29)
- Related IFRICs
Financial Reporting Faculty members only
The financial statements of an entity whose functional currency is the currency of a hyperinflationary economy should be stated in terms of the measuring unit current at the reporting date. Comparative figures should also be restated in the same current measuring unit.
- Monetary items in the statement of financial position (balance sheet) are not restated.
- Non-monetary items are restated based on the change in the general price index between the acquisition date of the item and the reporting date.
- All items of income or expenditure in the statement of comprehensive income are restated based on the change in the general price index between the date when the items were initially recorded and the reporting date.
- The gain or loss on the net monetary position is included in net income.
The International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) provides free access to the consolidated unaccompanied international accounting standards for the current year through its website. Free registration is required.
This unaccompanied version does not include additional content that accompanies the full standard, such as illustrative examples, implementation guidance and bases for conclusions.
Which version of the standard?
Financial Reporting Faculty members who joined the faculty prior to 1 November 2022 have premium access to the consolidated edition of IFRS and amendments through the IASB's IFRS Standards Navigator service. Please log into IFRS Standards Navigator to access electronic versions of the standards through these links.
Please be aware that as part of the changes to ICAEW faculty membership, this service will be withdrawn after 31 December 2022.
The following interpretation refers to IAS 29
IFRIC 7 Applying the Restatement Approach under IAS 29 Financial Reporting in Hyperinflationary Economies
Provides guidance on the restatement of financial statements when hyperinflation is initially identified.
This page was last updated 4 February 2022.
How standards trackers work
Corporate Reporting Faculty members get full access.
ICAEW members and non-members can view a brief synopsis, amendments and details of current proposals.