Technical helpsheet issued to help ICAEW members capture information about a prospective client and form their decision on whether or not to accept appointment.
This helpsheet has been issued by ICAEW’s Technical Advisory Service to help ICAEW members capture information about a prospective client and form their decision on whether or not to accept appointment for a potential engagement. It offers a non-exhaustive list of considerations to act as a starting point for firms in making a client acceptance decision.
Members may also wish to refer to the following related helpsheets and guidance:
Use of this helpsheet
This helpsheet should be read in conjunction with section 320 of the ICAEW Code of Ethics on professional appointments, the CCAB Anti-money laundering guidance for the accountancy sector and the helpsheet Change of professional appointment – Incoming accountant. Each section is designed to capture key information about a prospective client and offer indicative considerations. Members may wish to download a Word version of the helpsheet.
If in doubt seek advice
ICAEW members, affiliates, ICAEW students and staff in eligible firms with member firm access can discuss their specific situation with the Technical Advisory Service on +44 (0)1908 248 250 or via webchat.
Download a Word version of this helpsheet to access checklists to help you gather the client details listed below:
- Client details and business
- Professional enquiry
- Client identity and risk assessments
- Audit appointments
- Other considerations as appropriate to the firm/client
- Acceptance decision
© ICAEW 2024 All rights reserved.
ICAEW cannot accept responsibility for any person acting or refraining to act as a result of any material contained in this helpsheet. This helpsheet is designed to alert members to an important issue of general application. It is not intended to be a definitive statement covering all aspects but is a brief comment on a specific point.
ICAEW members have permission to use and reproduce this helpsheet on the following conditions:
- This permission is strictly limited to ICAEW members only who are using the helpsheet for guidance only.
- The helpsheet is to be reproduced for personal, non-commercial use only and is not for re-distribution.
For further details members are invited to telephone the Technical Advisory Service T +44 (0)1908 248250. The Technical Advisory Service comprises the technical enquiries, ethics advice, anti-money laundering and fraud helplines. For further details visit icaew.com/tas.
- 01 Sep 2012 (12: 00 AM BST)
- First published
- 06 Jan 2021 (12: 00 PM GMT)
- Changelog created, helpsheet converted to new template
- 06 Jan 2021 (12: 01 PM GMT)
- Minor updates only for links to published draft CCAB guidance.
- 17 Nov 2023 (12: 00 AM GMT)
- Updated links to point to new version of CCAB guidance, other links updated. Content has not had a full technical review.