Use our industry guide to find key background information, market research, import and export guidelines, statistics, legislation, trade bodies and trade publications.
The Business & Industry Guides series is produced by the Library & Information Service for ICAEW members and ACA students.
We can compile tailored key players reports, mailing lists, market reports, benchmarking reports and industry news. Our enquiry team can also research other industry-specific information, such as taxation, for you. Call us on +44 (0)20 7920 8620 or email email@example.com.
Trends and forecasts
The decoupling of Russia: software, media and online services
Post from the European think tank Bruegel which looks at the current picture in the sector and the complex impacts of the decoupling. Published on 22 March 2022.
Global entertainment and media outlook
PwC's annual in-depth report on advertising and consumer spending covers a variety of different industry sectors, including cinema and TV and video. Selected data and commentary on each sector is available free of charge.
Market research reports focusing on this business sector are available from a number of market research specialists. In most cases these reports are available to fee-paying subscribers or on a pay-as-you-go basis.
Some free information is available from the following market research specialists, ranging from industry news to executive summaries of the reports.
Business and industry research specialists offering reports on a wide range of sectors, including motion picture and television production. Report snapshots, table of contents and a sample report are available. The company also produces global industry research reports.
Report from Mintel covering the UK cinema sector. The website includes a summary and the option to view a contents listing.
Statistics on the UK
British Film Institute
The British Film Institute provides research and statistics, including weekly box office figures, production statistics and an annual Statistical Yearbook.
Office for National Statistics
The Annual Business Survey (ABS) from the Office for National Statistics collects financial information covering UK production, construction, distribution and service industries. Statistics available include:
- number of enterprises;
- total turnover;
- approximate gross value added at basic prices;
- total purchases of goods, materials and services;
- total employment – average during the year;
- total employment costs;
- total net capital expenditure;
- total net capital expenditure – acquisitions;
- total net capital expenditure – disposals;
- total stocks and work in progress – value at end of year;
- total stocks and work in progress – value at beginning of year;
- total stocks and work in progress – increase during year.
The dataset Non-financial business economy, UK: Sections A to S includes statistics for:
- Motion picture, video and television programme production activities
- Motion picture, video and television programme post-production activities
- Motion picture, video and television programme distribution activities
- Motion picture projection activities
See Section J: Information and Communication
Statistics on Europe
Eurostat, the EU statistics hub, collates detailed Structural Business Statistics giving the latest figures for industry, construction, trade and services by sector and country. The indicators available include:
- number of enterprises
- turnover or gross premiums written
- production value
- value added at factor cost
- gross operating surplus
- wages and salaries
- social security costs
- gross investment in tangible goods
- gross investment in land
- gross investment in existing buildings and structures
- gross investment in construction and alteration of buildings
- gross investment in machinery and equipment
- number of employees
- number of persons employed per enterprise.
Statistics within the database are available for:
- Motion picture, video and television programme activities (J591)
See database section ‘SBS – services’
International Video Federation
The International Video Federation produces annual market information reports covering consumer spending in Europe and internationally and average annual sales figures and consumer prices.
Statistics on the Americas
Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA)
The MPAA produces industry reports, which include an economic contribution report factsheet and theatrical market statistics.
Average employment costs within this sector are available from Table 14 of the Office for National Statistics publication Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE). Average employment costs are provided for full-time employees, part-time employees and all employees.
The data includes average employment costs for:
- authors, writers
- actors, entertainers
- arts officers, producers and directors
- audio-visual equipment operators.
Please see individual country profile pages for links to sources of national statistics.
UK key players, ratios and trends
The websites of trade bodies in this sector are a useful source of industry overviews, contacts and statistics.
- European Broadcasting Union
- Fédération Internationale des Associations de Distributeurs de Films (FIAD)
- International Union of Cinemas
- Motion Picture Association of America
- SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists)
Trade journals and publications
Trade journals, B2B magazines and specialist consumer magazines are another useful source of news and statistics.
TV and film industry guide: British Library
British Library industry guides provide listings of resources for industry-specific information, including print directories and materials held by the British Library.
Contact the British Library Business and IP Centre for more information.
Articles and books in the Library collection
To find out how you can borrow books from the Library please see our guide to book loans.
You can obtain copies of articles or extracts of books and reports by post or email through our document supply service.
Can't find what you're looking for?
The ICAEW Library can give you the right information from trustworthy, professional sources that aren't freely available online. Contact us for expert help with your enquiries and research.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information given in this Business & Industry Guide is correct. However, the content of websites changes frequently and users should satisfy themselves that the information they contain is suitable for the purposes for which they wish to use it. We would be grateful to receive notification of any broken links at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICAEW accepts no responsibility for the content on any site to which a hypertext link from this site exists. The links are provided ‘as is’ with no warranty, express or implied, for the information provided within them. Please see the full copyright and disclaimer notice.