Audit Qualification FAQs
Frequently asked questions about the Audit Qualification.
Does the Audit Qualification entitle me to sign audit reports?
No. Holding the Audit Qualification alone does not entitle you to sign audit reports.
In order to sign audit reports and be granted Responsible Individual (RI) status within a firm of Registered Auditors you must:
- hold the Audit Qualification
- hold a valid Practising Certificate
- apply for Registered Auditor status as a sole practitioner; or Responsible Individual status if you are a partner within a firm of registered auditors
A firm will require RI’s to not only be responsible for signing audit reports, but in order that RI’s hold a majority of the voting rights within a Registered Auditor.
How long will I have the Audit Qualification?
Once you have been granted the Audit Qualification, it is yours indefinitely.
I am a member of another accountancy body; can I undertake statutory audit work in the UK?
If you join us via a reciprocal or advanced credit route or through one of the EU directives then you will need to speak with our team to clarify whether audit rights may be granted. You may be required to sit the aptitude test or to undertake further examinations and practical training in order to undertake statutory audit work in the UK.
For more information on ICAEW audit requirements, please select your home body through our join us pages, contact our support line on +44 (0)1908 248 250 or email the support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide details on:
- Your home body (the body with which you became exam qualified)
- Your current status within that body
- Whether you hold an existing audit licence or equivalent with that body
- Details of your current employer (name, address and dates of employment)
We will need this information in order to provide you with accurate advice.
Is there a charge for the Audit Qualification?
No, there is no charge to apply for the Audit Qualification.
Will I automatically be granted the Audit Qualification when I apply?
If you are a current member of ICAEW and meet all our eligibility requirements then you will be granted the Audit Qualification.