ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Become a registered auditor

This section explains what constitutes regulated audit work, what is meant by the term 'registered auditor' and how your firm can become a registered auditor. Application forms are also available in this section as well as a guide to which forms your firm will need to complete.

Changes to the application process due to coronavirus

Please email your applications to regulatorysupport@icaew.com. If you have any questions regarding your application, please call +44 (0)1908 546 302.

Note, our telephone lines are operating at reduced capacity due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Access more information about working in the regulated area of audit including the Audit Regulations and Guidance.

What is regulated audit work?

This is work that is reserved by law to a 'registered auditor'. Generally it is audit work in relation to a company, but other work - and in relation to other entities - is also reserved to registered auditors. For a full list of work and other entities, see the definition of 'audit' in ICAEW's Audit Regulations and Guidance.

What is a registered auditor?

A registered auditor is a firm that undertakes regulated audit work and that is registered with a recognised supervisory body (RSB) such as the ICAEW.

When does a firm need to become a registered auditor?

Under section 1212 of the Companies Act 2006, a firm can only accept appointment as an auditor if it is a registered auditor under the rules of a RSB such as the ICAEW.

A firm must also be a registered auditor if it audits any organisation which is required by statute or regulation to appoint - as its auditor - a firm eligible to carry out company audits.

Banks, building societies, clubs and associations subject to the Friendly Societies Act or Industrial and Provident Act have to be audited by registered auditors. Some unincorporated charities, clubs or voluntary organisations may require their auditor to be eligible to act as a registered auditor. The specific requirement may be written into the entity's constitution or may be a condition of membership of some other body.

How does a firm become a registered auditor?

If your firm wants to become a registered auditor, it will need to:

Within a firm of registered auditors, the individual(s) who sign(s) company audit reports must:

  • hold an audit qualification, which normally means satisfying special training requirements; contact information.centre@icaew.com or call + 44 (0)1908 248 250 for more information; and
  • be nominated by the firm as a responsible individual.

Which form should our firm use and when?

The attached provides a guide to which form to use and when.

About the Audit Qualification

For further information about applying for the Audit Qualification please email information.centre@icaew.com or call + 44 (0)1908 248 250.

Audit registration webcasts

View two short webcasts about the requirements of being a registered auditor.

Registered auditor application form and guidance

If the firm's legal status changes (eg, a partnership is to become an LLP), you must reapply for registration.

If there's any change to the information ICAEW holds about your firm (as shown on the annual return), you must email details to regulatory.support@icaew.com within 10 business days.

Audit affiliate application form and guidance

Individuals or corporate bodies that are principals in an ICAEW-registered audit firm but not members of ICAEW are required to apply for audit affiliate status unless they are members of ICAS, CAI or ACCA. Responsible individuals who are not a member of ICAEW, ICAS, CAI or ACCA, also need to become an audit affiliate.

It may also be necessary to have investment business affiliate status.

Responsible individual application form and guidance

You must reapply for responsible individual (RI) status when you move to a new firm.

Fee scales for registered auditor, auditors in the Crown Dependencies and affiliates

Read more about ICAEW fees and the fees we collect on behalf of other organisations. There is also a useful FAQS section and information about paying fees.

Where to send your application
Due to the coronavirus outbreak our offices are currently closed. Any postal applications are likely to be significantly delayed. Please instead email your form(s) to regulatorysupport@icaew.com If any payments are due, an adviser will then contact you to arrange payment.
Contact us

If you have any questions as you're filling in the forms, please contact us on
+44 (0)1908 546 302, or email regulatory.support@icaew.com.