ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

SAICA members - join ICAEW

As a member of the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA), you can join ICAEW through our reciprocal membership agreement. You can also apply for a practising certificate and gain audit rights in the UK with our Audit Qualification.

Benefits of joining ICAEW

  • Access a portfolio of products, services and networks. We continually develop these to ensure you have the most useful and relevant support at your fingertips
  • Technical help and advice
  • Insights on the profession
  • Online communities and hubs
  • Events and E-learning courses

How to join ICAEW

Eligibility requirements

You are eligible to apply for reciprocal membership of ICAEW if you:

  • are a current member of The South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA) and not an associate of SAICA;
  • have obtained membership of your home body by complying with its training and examinations requirements;
  • can provide documentary confirmation that you are a member in good standing
  • comply with ICAEW's Code of Ethics; and
  • Must have the designation CA(SA).

You do not have to:

  • be resident in the UK or Europe to take up ICAEW membership; or
  • sit the ICAEW aptitude test

Letter of Good Standing

All ICAEW membership applications must be supported by a Letter of Good Standing from your home institute. This can be obtained by emailing:
Charles Mokokosi at charlesm@saica.co.za

Admission fee

The usual ICAEW admission fee has been waived for GAA institute members who are resident in the UK or Europe, although we welcome applications from any eligible SAICA members and you do not have to be resident in the UK or Europe in order to apply. 

Working in regulated areas

In the United Kingdom the UK government regulates audit, insolvency and investment business. Individuals and firms working in these areas must be appropriately authorised. You can apply for a practicing certificate and gain audit rights in the UK with our Audit Qualification.

Practising certificate

If you intend to practise in the UK or EC you must apply for a practising certificate. You may only practice as an ICAEW member if you have been a member of SAICA for at least two years.

Audit rights

ICAEW membership does not automatically grant you audit rights in the UK, so if you intend to work in audit during your career, then we recommend that you apply for the Audit Qualification (AQ) when joining us.

Working in Insolvency

ICAEW is the largest insolvency regulator in the UK. We offer the opportunity for ICAEW Chartered Accountants and non-ICAEW members to qualify and be licensed as insolvency practitioners with us. We also offer a comprehensive programme of support for our current and future insolvency practitioners including membership to our Restructuring & Insolvency Community.

Working in Financial Services

Gain sector-specific technical support and expert opinions to keep you up to date in a fast-changing environment.