ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Join another accountancy body

As an ICAEW member, you are eligible to join other leading accountancy bodies around the world through the reciprocal membership agreements we have with them and in most cases you will not need to sit any further examinations. Audit and practising rights are not automatically granted however, and you may be required to sit a test to obtain these.

We have reciprocal membership agreements with:

How we can help with your application

To join one of these institutes under a reciprocal agreement, you will usually be asked for evidence of your ICAEW membership.

We can provide information relating to your membership, please check with the relevant regulatory body as to the information required before completing this Status Confirmation form.

To discuss this further, please contact us or call +44 (0) 1908 248 250.

More about working as an accountant in …


The Australian Securities and Investment Commission is the registration body for auditors, liquidators and financial service professionals.


CICA itself is not a membership body. Our reciprocal agreement means you can apply for reciprocal membership of the institute in the Canadian province where you intend to work.

General accountancy services are not regulated in Canada but anyone wishing to practise audit is required to be a member of their provincial institute. Successful candidates are automatically granted the CA designation plus audit rights

European Economic Area (EEA)

Your ACA qualification is recognised by other EU member states where the accountancy profession in the host state is regulated within one of these EU Directives:

  • Recognition of Professional Qualifications (RPQ) Directive
  • Statutory Audit Directive

This means that you should be able to join a comparable professional body, subject to a local aptitude test or equivalent adaptation requirements. Please contact the accountancy body you wish to join for more information.

Visit ICAEW's Europe regional homepage to obtain information for national regulators in the EEA area on ICAEW's qualification and its relation to UK audit rights.


We have no reciprocal agreements with the individual state boards regulating accountancy in the US. If you want to work as an accountant you will need to sit the Chartered Public Accountant (CPA) examination of the state board where you want to work.

The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) is the umbrella organisation for CPAs. For specific guidance on the application process please contact the Association of Chartered Accountants in the United States (ACAUS).