ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

HKICPA members - how to join ICAEW

As a member of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA) who has joined by completing the HKICPA Qualification Programme (QP) you can join ICAEW through our reciprocal membership agreement without the need to take further examinations. Depending on the year that you joined HKICPA you may be eligible for a preferential rate.

Benefits of joining ICAEW

  • Access a portfolio of products, services, networks and events. We continually develop these to ensure you have the most useful and relevant support at your fingertips. 
  • Add value to your QP qualification, helping you maintain your edge in today’s competitive business environment

How to join ICAEW

For HKICPA members who joined HKICPA after 2014

If you are a member of HKICPA who joined after 2014 and have completed the HKICPA Qualification Programme and met HKICPA practical experience requirements you are eligible to apply for ICAEW membership at a special rate.

For HKICPA members who joined HKICPA before 2014

You are eligible to apply for ICAEW membership if you are a member of HKICPA and:


Apply now

  • have completed the HKICPA Qualification Programme and met HKICPA practical experience requirements; or
  • as a CICPA member, have completed the Qualification Programme except for the part exempted under the Agreement on Mutual Examination Paper Exemptions for Mainland and Hong Kong Accountants signed on 27 August 2004, and have met HKICPA practical experience and graduate entry requirements; or
  • have gained membership of HKICPA via another route and have passed one module and the final examination of the Qualification Programme.

Working in regulated areas

In the United Kingdom the UK government regulates audit, insolvency and investment business. Individuals and firms working in these areas must be appropriately authorised. You can apply for a practicing certificate and gain audit rights in the UK with our Audit Qualification. 

Practising certificate

If you intend to practise in the UK or EC you must apply for a practising certificate. You may only practise as an ICAEW member if you have been a member of HKICPA for at least two years.

Audit rights

ICAEW membership does not automatically grant you audit rights in the UK, so if you intend to work in audit during your career, then we recommend that you apply for the Audit Qualification (AQ) when joining us.

Working in Insolvency

ICAEW is the largest insolvency regulator in the UK. We offer the opportunity for ICAEW Chartered Accountants and non-ICAEW members to qualify and be licensed as insolvency practitioners with us. We also offer a comprehensive programme of support for our current and future insolvency practitioners including membership to our Restructuring & Insolvency Community.

Working in Financial Services

Gain sector-specific technical support and expert opinions to keep you up to date in a fast-changing environment.

Further information 

ICAEW has an office in Hong Kong whose staff can help you with any queries about joining the ICAEW. Contact them here:

Candice Tang
Email: Candice.Tang@icaew.com
Phone: +852 3653-7015

Unit 916,
Sun House,
181 Des Voeux Road Central,
Sheung Wan,
Hong Kong