ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.


Overlap relief information online service available


Published: 12 Sep 2023 Update History

The new online overlap relief form will allow unincorporated businesses and their agents to request the information HMRC holds on the available overlap relief that must be claimed in the 2023/24 transition year.

Basis period reform means that sole traders and partnerships will move to a tax year basis of taxation in 2024/25. Affected taxpayers must claim any remaining overlap relief to offset against their trading profits in 2023/24. This includes taxpayers who stop trading in the 2023/24 tax year. 

Taxpayers may already know how much overlap profit they are carrying forward as they are including it on their self assessment returns. If the taxpayer (or their agent) does not have that information, a new online service is available to ask HMRC for the information it holds.  

Agents can request the information on behalf of clients by using the online service with either their agent services account or online services for agents account sign in credentials. A separate request must be made for each client. 

The information required to make a request includes: 

  • taxpayer name;
  • name or description of the taxpayer’s business (or both);
  • the business address;
  • the taxpayer’s unique taxpayer reference (UTR) plus the partnership’s UTR if the business is part of a partnership;
  • whether the business is a sole trader or partnership;
  • the date the self-employment business began or the date the taxpayer joined the partnership (or the tax year if exact date unknown);
  • the most recent period of account or basis period used; 
  • the year or years that the accounting period changed (where applicable); and
  • whether the response should be sent by letter or email and the contact details for the response. 

HMRC will provide a confirmation by letter or email that the request has been submitted. This will show the last four characters of the UTR, the taxpayer’s first initial, and the taxpayer’s last name. 

HMRC endeavours to respond within three weeks, but complex cases may take longer.  

The service is not available to trusts, estates, or non-resident companies with trading income. These groups should contact HMRC to find out how to obtain their overlap relief figure. 

The Tax Faculty

ICAEW's Tax Faculty is recognised internationally as a leading authority and source of expertise on taxation. The faculty is the voice of tax for ICAEW, responsible for all submissions to the tax authorities. Join the Faculty for expert guidance and support enabling you to provide the best advice on tax to your clients or business.

More support on tax

ICAEW's Tax Faculty provides technical guidance and practical support on tax practice and policy. You can sign up to the Tax Faculty's free enewsletter (TAXwire) which provides weekly updates on developments in tax.

Sign up for TAXwireJoin the Tax Faculty

More from the Tax Faculty

Latest news
Making tax digital image

Stay up to date with the latest developments in tax by signing up to the Tax Faculty's weekly e-newsletter

Practical guidance

Comprehensive support for Tax practitioners each month from the Tax Faculty and expert contributors.

Technical support
Tax Faculty image

Expert advice from the Tax Faculty's technical managers on all the developments in tax policy and practice.