How to apply for CF qualification experience route
The following explains what you need to do if you want to apply for the Corporate Finance (CF) qualification on the basis of experience.
Step one: entry requirements
Senior professionals who have over five years’ experience in corporate finance are eligible to apply. You must be currently working in a corporate finance role or another relevant role where corporate finance forms a substantial part of that role and at a senior management and/or leadership level position.
Within your application you will need to give details of six transactions and/or deals on which you have played a senior lead role (for example partner, principal, director, managing director), three of which must have been completed in the last three years. You will also need to provide three peer references.
If you are unable to meet the criteria for the route, the study route is available to ICAEW members and non members.
Step two: download the Examination of Experience
To apply for the CF qualification experience route, you must complete an Examination of Experience which will ask to detail and provide evidence of six transactions and/or deals in the last five years (ie, five years back from the date of your application), three of which must have completed in the last three years.
If you have a question about the Examination of Experience or your eligibility to apply, call +44 (0)1908 248 250 or email email@example.com.
Step three: approaching your application
To help you prepare your application, we have recorded a webinar to help guide you through the application process. The webinar includes tips on how to approach the Examination of Experience as well as preparing the deal summary documentation.
Step four: start compiling your application
You should expect to spend at least two days considering, writing and reviewing the requirements of your CF qualification experience route submission.
You are required to include a copy of you curriculum vitae detailing your corporate finance experience within the format in the application form. You also need to complete your personal details and mandatory declarations.
Step five: complete the reference section
Your application must also be supported by at least three peer references. They must confirm that they support your application by explaining why in their opinion you are suitable for this award. They must also explain how long and in what capacity they have known you.
Your referees must:
- hold a senior management and/or leadership position in corporate finance (for example partner, principal, director, managing director);
- have achieved the CF qualification or be a member of a professional body with an ethical code (for example ICAEW, ICAS, CAI, CIMA, CIPFA, ACCA, Law Society, Bar Council);
- have known you for at least three of the last five years and have knowledge of the quality and scope of your work. At least one referee must be someone independent from your current or previous roles.
Step six: submit your application
The 2019 submission dates for the CF qualification experience route are 20 September (results will be issued on 19 December). You may attempt the CF qualification experience route up to a maximum of four times.
When you submit your application, it must consist of the following:
- completed application form;
- completed mandatory declarations;
- completed requirements of the Examination of Experience;
- a copy of your curriculum vitae;
- at least three references; and
- payment of either £788 + VAT (£945.60) for ICAEW members and £985 + VAT (£1,182.00) for non-ICAEW members.
If your application is successful, you will become a CF qualification award holder and acquire the CF designatory letters.
If your application is unsuccessful, please review the resubmission requirements set out in the feedback you will have received. You can also review the resubmission frequently asked questions.