Secondments and part-time working
We define a secondment as work performed outside your training office organisation. Secondments can help you to broaden your work experience and skills set.
If you are undertaking work on secondment you are advised to:
- read the agreement between your employer and the organisation to whom you are being seconded, which will detail the work due to be undertaken
- consider the work planned for you, particularly technical content and personal and professional development
- ensure that your professional development, studies and exams will not be interrupted.
If your six-monthly review is due whilst you are on secondment your review may either take place at the organisation to which you are being seconded, or you may return to your training organisation. In the case of the former you must discuss professional development progress with your qualified person responsible for training (QPRT) or counsellor as soon as you return from secondment.
Time spent on secondment
We aim to ensure that you receive the best possible training support in a consistent and continuous manner throughout your ACA training. Therefore, there is a limit on the amount of time you may spend on secondment as follows:
- you may gain up to one third of your total practical work experience on secondment to an organisation which is not authorised to train ICAEW students
- you may gain up to one half of your total practical work experience on secondment to an organisation that is authorised to train ICAEW students.
The permitted length of a secondment depends on whether the organisation to which you are seconded is an ICAEW authorised training employer. These limits may only be exceeded by applying in advance to student support team on +44 (0)1908 248250.
Please note that you may only count audit experience for Audit Qualification purposes if:
- it is gained with an ICAEW authorised training employer
- it is a statutory company audit work or work similar to this; and
- you are able to undertake this work in a public practice organisation which is a registered auditor.
A secondment may affect your eligibility for the Audit Qualification.
Training may be undertaken on a part-time basis at our discretion and is subject to an appropriate extension to the length of your training agreement.
If you are considering moving to part-time work in the first instance, you should contact your QPRT or your counsellor to discuss it. If you need further information on this please contact the student registration team on +44(0)1908 248 250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.