BFP Work Experience requirements
Information on the work experience requirements that must be met to be eligible to become an ICAEW Business and Finance Professional.
Experience and skills
To become an ICAEW Business and Finance Professional you must demonstrate that you have 12 months' full-time (35 hours per week) work experience in a business and/or finance role, or the pro-rata equivalent if you have been working part-time. You must have gained this work experience during the three years prior to your application.
During this period of work experience you will need to have acquired the following skills:
- The ability to behave ethically and sustainably, whilst respecting others in order to uphold the values of the organisation and the accountancy profession.
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels, using oral, written and presentational skills, in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- The ability to work collaboratively as a member or leader of a team to achieve shared goals..
- The ability to gather, interpret and evaluate data in order to make effective decisions.
- The ability to analyse a problem, generate options and make recommendations in order to arrive at appropriate solutions.
- The ability to add value to the organisation, team or role in order to achieve objectives.
- The ability to seek, learn and use technology and technical information to support the achievement of organisation or team goals.
Work experience validation
Your work experience must be validated by someone who works for the same organisation and who is a member of a professional body that is a full member of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC). To find out which of your colleagues is eligible you can either ask your employer or visit the IFAC website where you can find a list of its member bodies. Please note members of bodies that are associate members of IFAC are not eligible to provide this validation.
When you’re ready to apply for your BFP designation they will need to sign your application form to confirm that you have completed the required length of work experience in a role they consider to be of a business and/or finance nature, and that you have demonstrated all of the required skills.
If you don't have any work experience
If you do not have the required work experience, you can still start studying for the ICAEW CFAB and the Ethics Learning Programme now, and complete the work experience requirement once you’re working in a suitable role.
More information about becoming a BFP
If you have any questions about applying for the ICAEW Business and Finance Professional designation please get in touch: