Export to the world
A world of opportunity is waiting for UK businesses in the global marketplace but at first it can seem a daunting prospect to make the switch from servicing local markets to exporting your goods to another country. The UK Government has recognised this and created a package of support material and information to help companies take the first steps.
Get it right and the rewards can be huge
Exporting has shown to help businesses to grow at a faster rate, drive new ideas and innovation, and spread risk. Statistically, firms that have exported for more than two years are much more likely to be profitable.
Even better, the demand for UK products is now at unprecedented levels and had been even before the additional lure of a good rate of exchange. Last summer the Office for National Statistics found that the export of goods from the UK had overtaken the global average for the first time in a decade, with the majority of the growth driven by an increase in exports to markets outside the EU.
Don’t underestimate the potential demand for the products you, or your client, offer.
Exporting is Great
Whether you are a business owner or a practitioner helping a client to explore export opportunities you will find that there is a wealth of material available for you from the UK Government’s new website great.gov.uk
- read a series of guides on how to start selling outside the UK
- advertise your products to international buyers
- start your research with a series of exporting country guides
- search a directory of export opportunities by contract value, industry sector or market
- obtain advice on how to choose an appropriate online marketplace for your international sales
- find out about business and networking opportunities at international events
Help and support from ICAEW
The support options do not stop there. The ICAEW Library & Information Service is set up to support you, whether you are you are developing an export strategy for your own company or working with clients who are exploring their possibilities for export.
Resources and services available include:
- Check potential business partners using our client screening service as part of your due diligence for partners
- Use our series of Exporting to…, Doing business in… and Tax in… guides to research your markets and help gain an understanding of the regulatory and tax climate
- Market research reports and industry data is readily available through our series of Industry Guides
- Research international partners or competitors with our international company research services
Our team of dedicated researchers are ready to take your questions and help with your research, so if you cannot find what you need on our website just pick up the phone or send us a message.