ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.


An important part of gaining your ACA qualification is securing your training agreement (also known as a training contract). An ACA training agreement is the joint agreement between you and your employer.

Unfortunately we are in a very challenging economic climate in which you may find yourself at risk of redundancy. Understandably such an experience is extremely distressing, but if it does happen to you it's important to try to keep as calm and focused as possible. This will maximise your chances of completing your training and studies elsewhere.

Before you leave your current employer, make sure:

  • your practical work experience days, professional development and ethics and professional scepticism progress are up to date within your online training file, so that you have the latest records to take to your new employer;
  • you have asked your current employer to act as a referee; and
  • you have asked whether they can recommend you to any of their business or client contacts.

If you have almost completed your training agreement, it is worth asking your employer if they could delay your redundancy, perhaps allowing you to complete project work from home, to allow you to complete your required 450 days of practical work experience.

It may also be possible for them to help you find a secondment with another company. Advice on spending time on secondment is available from our student support team


Time spent on secondment to another organisation can also count towards the student’s practical work experience requirements.

Please note that there are some secondment restrictions to adhere to, these include:

  • No more than 50% of the total practical work experience should be in a different authorised office.
  • No more than 33.3% of the total practical work experience should be in any unauthorised training employer.
  • No more than 50% of the total practical work experience should be in a combination of the above.

Advice on secondments is available from the helpline on our student support team.

Support for you

If you experience redundancy, you can look at the ICAEW Training Vacancies webpage to find vacancies for students.

Don't forget you can also reach out to caba for any additional support.

Student support team

The student support team is here to help. We recommend that you contact us via our Live Chat or chatbot Mia first.

Your training file

Log your progress throughout your ACA training

Update your progress now